Default Fish and your HT

I've been reading Home Theater and Home Audio pages for a couple years now, but I have not seen anything discussing them in relation to fish tanks.

Does anyone know what the guideline is for aquariums and the loudness/vibrations your HT will give off?
    Can you/should you keep a fish tank in the same room? Same house?

Do the fish even care?

Hmmm...maybe watch the Darla Fish Tank tap scene again?

:crowd:
    LCR: Gedlee Abbeys for LR and Nathan for Center Surround & rear 4 x Sho10's
    Subs: 4 x 18.2
    Electronics: Marantz SR7002, Acurus 200x3 (LCR), PS3, HTPC, CDP300, Mits HC1500, Elite Peregrine 2.35 156" Acousticpro4k

lol, good one. But answering a question with another question: isn't that something we see on Bill O Reiley?

Quote Originally Posted by gwilks98 View Post
    I've been reading Home Theater and Home Audio pages for a couple years now, but I have not seen anything discussing them in relation to fish tanks.

Does anyone know what the guideline is for aquariums and the loudness/vibrations your HT will give off?

Do the fish even care?
    You might look up "JapanDave" and his HT build in the AVS and Seaton (link) forums.
    He doesn't have current fish tanks in his HT but used to have a lot of fish and might know.

Mike
    HT Gear (AVS Link)
    Rk: MA WR-37-32
    Pwr: 20A, Surge-X SEQ, M1500-UPS
    Proj: JVC RS20, 128" 2.4:1 CaradaBW, ISCOIIIL, CineSlide, RadianceXE
    Cbl: DirectTV C31/700 Genie receiver
    Rec: 5308CI + XPA-3
    BR: Oppo BDP-103
    Gm: 360 Pro
    LR/C: RS1KSig/RSC200Sig
    S/R: RSS300/RS250MkII
    Sub: SVS PB12-Ultra/2
    Off: HRT MS DAC, USP-1, UPA-2, ERC-1, Ultra10, WAF-1 Ninja+No-Rez
    Off2: Gizmo, WAF-1
    TCA: 3x Gizmo 1.0or,5x v1.0M; 5xWAF-1

One thing to note is the fish tank is a hard surface and will reflect sound. So be mindful of the placement and keep the fish tank out of first reflection points.

Sound will turn the water. I can't see reasonable volume levels doing much to fish in a tank with good artificial currents. If the volume is turned up so high you are basically dynamite fishing, you might want to be concerned for your own health. What happens in between is a gray area and this is a good question. I never heard of someone's stereo killing fish but prolonged exposure to low frequency sounds may have an impact. It is worth researching and I would be interested in what you turn up.

-Greg

Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

HO's Basement Take 2

Default Update to this for those who care

A few guys were at my work discussing fish: one's best friend owns a large fish supply place, and he himself has 2-200+ gallon tanks....

Anyways..the tanks are in his HT and next to subs and hasn't had any visible adverse effects to his fishies....

And the store owner said as long as you don't put a speaker in the water you are good to go.

-Greg

Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

HO's Basement Take 2

This fish LFE exposure question can be answered with a relatively inexpensive test.

A. Aquire cheap fishbowl and some guppies at local pet store.

B. Set bowl with fish on top of CS18.1 (or CS18.2)

C. Watch movie with strong LFE content at reference level.

D. Afterwards, check to see if guppies are still swimming, or floating on their sides on the waters surface.
    :group: Long live draft beer and good old rock 'n roll :grinning:

Quote Originally Posted by Spiralout View Post

Do the fish even care?
    I've had aquariums for over 50 years. Since I got my first stereo (over 40 years ago) I've always had an aquarium in the same room. I have never noticed any problem related to the sound. I think the "flashing light" from the movie screen/TV might be worse.

Have fun - Hans

Oops. Just noticed this was an old thread.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by NoDad View Post
    I've had aquariums for over 50 years. Since I got my first stereo (over 40 years ago) I've always had an aquarium in the same room. I have never noticed any problem related to the sound. I think the "flashing light" from the movie screen/TV might be worse.

Have fun - Hans

Oops. Just noticed this was an old thread.
    This is not an thread since it's going on #3 on http://www.google.com/ my friend