Are There Any Affordable Shelf Speakers Still Packed With Tech and Quality?
It's not easy telling the dozens of inexpensive shelf speakers on the market apart. With so many to select from and with so little obvious difference between them, can the smart shopper find one with a real difference?
We think Chane's A1.4 shelf speaker is different. It's different because the genuine tech we put in it is above average and because it creates the sound of exceptional, savvy design.
Looking for an alternative shelf speaker, one packed with real tech and quality instead of vague marketing claims? In its class the fourth-generation A1.4 is an affordable, sophisticated, alternative.
First, there are no regular drivers here at all; no standard woofers, domes, or AMTs. Chane's licensed XBL2 SplitGap midwoofer and pro-style planar leaf tweeter deliver cleaner, more dynamic sound - they cost us substantially more but they deliver real results.
Then, Chane's 100% in-house, custom design engineering integrates them using high grade internal electronics that also cost us significantly more but acoustically intrude less. Finally, Chane enclosures are up to 50% heavier and experienced, extensive fine tuning focuses everything to deliver an affordable speaker like no other.
What is XBL2? Drop us a line for the white paper - it's real tech and only Chane offers it for this little.
Purpose-built, Right Down to the Small Details
Chane's higher-dynamic planar leaf tweeter includes a new molded all-aluminum lens for smoother response to well beyond 30kHz. Chane's CAD-designed and hand-tuned crossover uses no electrolytic capacitors. The A1.4's thick, acoustically dense cabinet is perimeter-braced and up to a third heavier and heavy acoustical treatment inside the cabinet keeps the sound clean. The rear port won't project unwanted energy forward, and gold-plated twist input terminals accept heavier gauge audio cables.The extra-duty A1.4 is finished in the same stealthy simulated black ash as the rest of the line and includes a removable black knit grille and an acoustical port plug to optionally convert the A1.4 to sealed operation.
An Impressive Feature List
Chane didn't build the A1.4 to resemble a regular speaker. We specifically built it to outclass it.
- 1.25" x 2.25" flat panel leaf tweeter
- Uniform, high-output thermoplastic diaphragm
- High energy Neodymium motor
- Very high frequency extension to over 30kHz
- Higher output and power handling than domes
- Resistive amplifier load for consistent neutrality
- New molded aluminum treble face plate
- Acoustical flare and lens for flatter, smoother response
- Improved acoustic phasing and design integration
- 135mm/5.25" high-excursion SplitGap mid-woofer with XBL2 motor
- Exotic, licensed technology for linear cone excursion
- Distortion reduced 50% versus conventional drivers
- Critically-damped natural cellulose fiber cone for exceptional resolution
- Copper SplitGap ring and short voice coil improve responsiveness
- Aluminum frames and enormous, twin-gapped, double-ventilated motors
- High thermal capacity for reliable, high output
- Chane's 0.4 series precision dividing network
- Acoustical 4th order function for neutral, linear response and wide dispersion
- Electrolytic-free: 100% High grade polypropylene and Mylar capacitors throughout
- Very heavy-gauge inductors and special non-inductive resistors improve frequency extremes
- Heavy foil, discrete epoxy circuit boards for high electrical integrity
- 100% soldered board and lead technique for long life
- Solid, 18mm braced acoustical cabinet
- Up to 50% heavier than conventional models
- More volume for deeper bass response
- Convertible bass reflex acoustic alignment with flared rear port for low coloration
- Included port plug converts the A1.4 to sealed mode
- Heavy-gauge internal poly damping
- Handsome seamless simulated black ash PVC finish
- Includes detachable low diffraction black fabric grille with stainless steel pegs and low resonance rubber cups
- Heavy gold-plated five-way input terminals accept common cable terminations
- The A1.4 is packed as pairs in heavy foam cradles and triple-wall cartons
- Includes Chane Music & Cinema's 30-day in-home satisfaction guarantee (see Terms)
- Five year warranty
Affordable Good Sound Starts Here
Chane models consistently lead their fields because we lavish outstanding tech and over 30 years of solid design expertise on them. The A1.4's techniques give it even more of the bigger, clearer, and more dimensional sound hundreds of music lovers have come to expect from even the most affordable Chane speaker.
The Chane A1.4 is a genuine alternative for smart budgets.
- Frequency response: 50Hz-31.5kHz +/- 3dB
- Low frequency cutoff: 45Hz -6dB
- Sensitivity (1w/1m): 86dB
- System type: Convertible bass reflex
- Nominal impedance: 8 Ohms
- Recommended music power: 20-100W
- Dimensions: 340 x 180 x 250mm
- Dimensions: 13.4 x 7.1 x 9.85in
- Net Weight: 7.3kg / 16lbs each
Rust: on listening axis
Blue: 10 degrees (horizontal)
Green: 20 degrees
Gold: 30 degrees
Black: 40 degrees
Rust: on listening axis
Blue: +10 degrees (vertical)
Green: +20 degrees
Gold: -10 degrees
Black: -20 degrees
Black: impedance magnitude