The Re-imagined High-Tech Main Loudspeaker.
Center speakers can be a little perplexing. Their unusual driver plan has to fit in a unique space, so can they sound good? If an experienced design team set out to create its most effective center speaker yet - under budget - what would it be and what would it sound like?
Could it also double as a terrific left and right vertical main speaker?
Let's start with the basics. Because of their internal and external layout, conventional center speakers can limit clean, off-axis dispersion, making them difficult to hear. Inconsistencies in aspects of their responses confuse the center image. Elaborate designs can bring even more compromises, and larger center speakers can't be used vertically because of their asymmetrical driver layouts.
Chane's 4th-generation A2.4 is different. It's a true multi-purpose, medium format, symmetrical main speaker with a unique, effective design that looks simple and fits in well but makes a simply superb-sounding center speaker - some A2.4 users call it the best they've ever heard.
Better yet, the A2.4 is just as thrilling as a left and right speaker. For simply delightful stereophonic sound, a pair of vertical A2.4s create an enormous, transparent soundscape with excellent focus and image. They even work as rear speakers in larger systems.
Real sound quality and versatility is the A2.4's wide appeal for center, stereo pair, or perfectly matched 3.0 channel front stage. It's the true LCR (left-center-right) specifically optimized for wide, even dispersion, natural acoustical dynamics, and a big sound stage.
The A2.4's special aligned array greatly improves linearity. On-axis and short-axis response is +/-3dB, and long-axis response within a 40 degree arc is a tight +/- 5dB. Inter-driver time behavior has been optimized for exceptional acoustic focus too.
The A2.4's rotatable flat leaf tweeter suits vertical or horizontal use - one model becomes a powerful option for all channels. Chane's tandem 5.25" SplitGap midwoofers with XBL2 technology precisely sum with the flat panel tweeter for linear and predictable response.
- As a center speaker, the A2.4 has excellent intelligibility over a wide region.
- As large stereo monitors, two A2.4s sound focused and dimensional.
- Three A2.4s can anchor all main front channels for a vast soundfield and the foundation of impressive home theater action.
Two bass tuning options convert the A2.4 between either stand-alone, full range use or classic 80Hz+ range for subwoofers. Open-port, the A2.4's aerodynamically-flared rear port reinforces low frequencies. Stop the bass port with the included charcoalester foam plug and convert to a shallower cutoff in the region of powered subwoofers.
First, there are no regular drivers here at all; no standard woofers, domes, or AMTs. Chane's licensed XBL2 SplitGap midwoofer and pro-style planar leaf tweeter deliver cleaner, more dynamic sound - they cost us substantially more but they deliver real results.
Then, Chane's 100% in-house, custom design engineering integrates their responses exceptionally well in all domains using high grade internal electronics that also cost us significantly more but acoustically intrude less. Finally, Chane enclosures are up to 50% heavier and experienced, extensive fine tuning focuses everything to deliver an affordable speaker like no other.
What is XBL2? It's how we virtually double clean, dynamic speaker output. Drop us a line for the white paper - it's real tech and only Chane offers it for this little.
Purpose-built, Right Down to the Small Details
Chane's planar leaf tweeter includes a new molded aluminum lens for smoother response to well beyond 30kHz. The CAD-designed and hand-tuned crossover is highly optimized. The acoustically dense cabinet is perimeter-braced and heavy acoustical treatment keeps the sound clean. The rear port won't project unwanted energy forward, and gold-plated twist input terminals accept heavier gauge audio cables.
The A2.4 is finished in the same stealthy simulated black ash as the rest of the line and includes a removable black knit grille and an acoustical port plug to optionally convert it to sealed operation.
An Impressive Feature List
Chane didn't build the A2.4 to be a common center speaker. It's in another class entirely.
- 1.25" x 2.25" flat panel leaf tweeter
- Uniform, high-output thermoplastic diaphragm
- High energy Neodymium motor
- Very high frequency extension to over 30kHz
- Higher output and power handling than domes
- Resistive amplifier load for consistent neutrality
- New molded aluminum treble face plate
- Acoustical flare and lens for flatter, smoother response
- Improved acoustic phasing and design integration
- 135mm/5.25" high-excursion SplitGap mid-woofers with XBL2 motors
- Exotic, licensed technology for linear cone excursion
- Distortion reduced 50% versus conventional drivers
- Critically-damped natural cellulose fiber cone for exceptional resolution
- Copper SplitGap ring and short voice coil improve responsiveness
- Aluminum frames and enormous, twin-gapped, double-ventilated motors
- High thermal capacity for reliable, high output
- Chane's 0.4 series precision dividing network
- Optimized dispersion across big, 80x40-degree window revolutionizes focus for affordable MTM* speakers
- Exceptional acoustical synchronization enhances transient response, "voice", and dynamics
- Unprecedentedly uniform sound for 3-speaker, vertical/horizontal, LCR** front speaker arrays
- Very heavy-gauge inductors and special non-inductive resistors improve frequency extremes
- Heavy foil, discrete epoxy circuit boards for high electrical integrity
- 100% soldered board and lead technique for long life
- Solid, 18mm braced acoustical cabinet
- Up to 50% heavier than conventional models
- More volume for deeper bass response
- Convertible bass reflex acoustic alignment with flared rear port for low coloration
- Included port plug converts the A2.4 to sealed mode
- Heavy-gauge internal poly damping
- Handsome seamless simulated black ash PVC finish
- Includes detachable low diffraction black fabric grille with stainless steel pegs and low resonance rubber cups
- Heavy gold-plated five-way input terminals accept common cable terminations
- The A2.4 is packed individually in heavy foam cradles and a triple-wall carton
- Includes Chane Music & Cinema's 30-day in-home satisfaction guarantee (see Terms)
- Five year warranty
- Frequency response: 48Hz-30kHz +/- 3dB
- Long-axis response: 40 degrees
- Short-axis response: 80 degrees
- Low frequency cutoff: 42Hz -6dB
- Sensitivity (1w/1m): 90dB
- System type: Convertible bass reflex
- Nominal impedance: 8 Ohms
- Recommended music power: 20-150W
- Dimensions: 180 x 500 x 300mm
- Dimensions: 7.1 x 19.7 x 11.8in
- Net weight: 12kg / 27lbs each
Black: Averaged listening window; complex summed bass below ~350Hz.
Rust: on short axis
Blue: 10 degrees (horizontal)
Green: 20 degrees
Gold: 30 degrees
Black: 40 degrees
Rust: on long axis
Blue: 5 degrees* (vertical)
Green: 10 degrees*
Black: 15 degrees*
*Equivalent to 10, 20, and 30 degree windows.