Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A5rx-c have landed!

Unboxing tips:
    1. If you are going to mount the base plate, you want to bring the speaker out with it's bottom up.
    2. Cut the tape on the box;
    3. Remove top foam and base plate package.
    4. Remove carpet spike bag and plate bolt bag. The end of the box you find this is also the bottom end of the speaker.
    5. Tilt up box up on an end so the end that had the spikes/bolts in it is now up.
    6. Remove the side packing foam.
    7. Slide the speaker out on it's top in the packing foam.
    8. Remove the now top shipping foam and slide shipping bag down.
    9. Mount base plate with curved edge pointing forward.

The base plate mounts to the four "holes" (the holes in the inserts on the bottom of the speaker). The holes are simply inserts placed there to provide a mount point for thee base plate. They look like a "hex bolt" - but don't unscrew them!

You use the base plates inner set of four holes to mount it to the speaker by placing the the four black bolts in the inner bolt holes in the base plate (one at a time, loosely at first until all four are started) and screw them in. Use a flash light to help line them up.

*** Don't over tighten *** Snug + 1/4 turn is good enough. You just don't want any slack.

The outer inserts in the base plate are for the carpet spikes. I wold suggest that if you are going to use rubber feet or felt or some other feet material, simply place them over the holes provided for the carpet spikes as that will give you a nice wide balanced support for the speaker.

*** For placement and break-in tips, see post #3 below from Jon. ***

So far, and clearly its very early, but what I was looking for in this upgrade in the highs and mids are a definitive improvement over my existing setup. Thanks Jon!
    Last edited by nightfly; 04-11-2015, 11:23 PM.

Got Mine too!

I got mine today! After getting the A2 it was a long, tortuous 2 month wait...

First thing I listened to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQeNYpGJ_2E

I'm so happy to finally have a serious set of loudspeakers...thanks for making such an awesome product so affordable!

Edit...

After a few hours of listening they've already opened up tremendously. I've gone from 2 channel music to watching tv in dolby 5.1, and it's just astonishing how the sound floats in the space in front of and around you. I'm using these satellites: http://www.biline.ca/spherex.htm (only 2 in a 5.1 setup, with an Adam sub8 crossed at 60, volume low and fronts on large while they break in)

I'm just amazed at what I'm hearing...
    Last edited by philtro; 04-12-2015, 07:48 PM.

Comment

It's great to see this thread developing. I'm going to sticky it. And it's a relief to see folks enjoying their purchases after so many delays beyond Chane's control.

Remember, the same rules apply here as to just about any speaker of this size, output, and type:

1. Start them out square to one another and square to the room, at least if you have a rectilinear space - rectangular, square, you get the idea.

2. Try a 3:4 triangle - a little closer together than you are distant from 'em. Keep em out of corners and away from walls.

3. Break-in, break-in, and after that, a little more break-in. Not loud, just normal. You can hear 'em coming into focus and temper.

4. As with all such things, try good sources, recordings, and electronics if you can manage it.

5. As they start getting nice and open, experiment with toe-in. Hard rooms need less or none, and acoustically soft rooms can benefit from a little inward twist. Straight at you and they can get bright, especially in hard rooms.

Nothing unusual, just the basics of care and feeding.

If you need a User Guide, email us.

Comment

Mine arrive today too!

Jon, what size screw do the threads in the speaker base take - where the spikes go? I think I'm going with rubber feet at first.

Comment

Originally posted by huja2 View Post
          Mine arrive today too!

Jon, what size screw do the threads in the speaker base take - where the spikes go? I think I'm going with rubber feet at first.
          See post #1 I edited it more base plate assembly tips/info.

Comment

Originally posted by philtro View Post
            I got mine today! After getting the A2 it was a long, tortuous 2 month wait...

After a few hours of listening they've already opened up tremendously. I've gone from 2 channel music to watching tv in dolby 5.1, and it's just astonishing how the sound floats in the space in front of and around you. I'm using these satellites: http://www.biline.ca/spherex.htm (only 2 in a 5.1 setup, with an Adam sub8 crossed at 60, volume low and fronts on large while they break in)

I'm just amazed at what I'm hearing...
            While those surrounds may suffice, I recommend something more worthy of these fine Arx-c Chane speakers:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/qs4-surround-sound-speakers

There are many choices out there for quality but affordable surrounds, and until Jon comes up with something to match his Arx-c line in a surround those axioms would do nicely: they are smallish and can handle the watts and wide dispersion and they actually produce a some bass

Comment

I received mine today. Love the build quality and especially the included base. Put around 6 hours on them. The sound is already clear and beautiful. Very different audio signature from the speakers I was auditioning such as Monitor Audio, Focal, Paradigm, B&W. Let's just say my search for speakers is over. The A5rx-c is in a class of it's own. It's not often that I sit back and look at a purchase and tell myself that was money well spent. Today I did. I will leave a more thorough review in the coming weeks after they really start to open up.

Thanks Jon! Well worth the wait.

Comment

mine hasn't even been shipped yet...so let me experience them vicariously
                for those who are upgrading from the A5s...A5 vs A5rx-c comparisons please....after partial break in of course..

Comment

Originally posted by klatwork View Post
                  mine hasn't even been shipped yet...so let me experience them vicariously
                  for those who are upgrading from the A5s...A5 vs A5rx-c comparisons please....after partial break in of course..
                  Yes, comparisons please! Comparisons with anything, lol. I've been waiting to hear from others how these turned out :). Congrats to all those who've received theirs (or are about to ;))

Originally posted by nightfly View Post
                  While those surrounds may suffice, I recommend something more worthy of these fine Arx-c Chane speakers:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/qs4-surround-sound-speakers

There are many choices out there for quality but affordable surrounds, and until Jon comes up with something to match his Arx-c line in a surround those axioms would do nicely: they are smallish and can handle the watts and wide dispersion and they actually produce a some bass
                  Agg! Hurry up A4s! :D

Comment

They're M6.

Note to anyone trying a thread-in foot other than the set we supply: don't thread a longer stud into the steel insert in the bases too deeply or you can punch through the top of the base. Measure the supplied foot's threaded post and try not to exceed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Lane View Post
                      They're M6.

Note to anyone trying a thread-in foot other than the set we supply: don't thread a longer stud into the steel insert in the bases too deeply or you can punch through the top of the base. Measure the supplied foot's threaded post and try not to exceed it.
                      Thanks, Jon!

The first three albums I played on the A5rx-c (powered by a Yamaha RX-V677 and running 12 gauge wire and banana plugs from Monoprice) were . . . . drum roll . . .

1. The Clash, Combat Rock
                      2. Les Miserables soundtrack, Original London Cast
                      3. A Tribe Called Quest, Low End Theory

Still messing around with amp settings to figure out what sounds best. This is a lot of fun as these are my first set of new speakers since 1989.

Comment

Thanks, Jon!

The first three albums I played on the A5rx-c (powered by a Yamaha RX-V677 and running 12 gauge wire and banana plugs from Monoprice) were . . . . drum roll . . .

1. The Clash, Combat Rock
                        2. Les Miserables soundtrack, Original London Cast
                        3. A Tribe Called Quest, Low End Theory
                        That's pretty diverse set. I am a Steely Dan/Fagen fan (note username) and put on some of their stuff from the Royal Scam and Gaucho to name few.

An additional observation: as I turn up the volume, the Ar5's just come "more alive" and produced a really un-strained sound. My rocket 750's also excelled in this regard, but they were a bit power hungry as they didn't sing until they got some power.

As a comparison, after Audyssey calibration, the Chane's had anywhere from -1 to -2 more taken off the level adjustments compared to the Rocket 750's which again, are no slouch.

I run a SVS 12" sub with an Onkyo 809 AVR - they can thump pretty good. I have the port plugs plugged as I am close to a rear wall and that really provides a tighter sound - should have done that with my previous setup too.

Ok, just got done listening some more.. and oh wow. Really happy: clarity, clean, precise. I can't believe I paid so little.These cost less than my Rocket 750s used and they sound so much better.

Just got done listening to: Your Gold Teeth II, Kid Charlemagne, The Caves of Altarmira, Don't Take me Alive, Sign in Stranger, The Fez, Black Cow and Aja. The sax in these just soar crisp and clear without missing a beat. It's all there. Aja especially demonstrated the capability of the A5rx-c.

If your paying more, I hope it's a better looking speaker, but it ain't likely that much better sounding.

Not gonna do without the Fez on..oh no.
                        Last edited by nightfly; 04-14-2015, 02:36 AM.

Comment

my a5rx-c was shipped yesterday, but i got a new denon x4100w AVR in the mail. ...
                          even on the a1rx-c, big difference from the $350 Pioneer 824k I bought last year....even in pure direct mode...
                          more bass, more open...it sounded clear, but now it's even clearer....better instrument separation..
                          used to not be able to detect a clear difference between mp3 and wav....now I can hear the compression on mp3s...
                          The Chane tweeter definitely need a higher end receiver to max out their potential..
                          some $300-500 80w/ch receiver is probably not gonna utilise the full potential on the Chane tweeter..
                          can't wait to hear the a5rx-c on the new receiver...
                          and while I wait... more reviews on them please....:D

Comment

1 outta 2 aint bad.....

I bought (2) speakers. Each had a tracking email notification but I only followed one of the speaker trackings thinking they should arrive at the same time.
                            The tracking I followed showed delivery for today, I assumed both would arrive today. Nope, only one.
                            I dug up the other speaker tracking email and found it scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

So close, yet so far away.
                            Ding, dang, dab-nabbit!!!!

Also waiting on the new bigger L,C,R to be unveiled so I can order one as my center speaker. For now I'll use my A1rx-c as center speaker.

Comment

Mine SB here tomorrow

FEDEX claims both my speakers will be delivered tomorrow.

I use a Conrad Johnson PV-10a preamp to drive a Hafler DH-220 power amp thatI modified a couple of months ago and was amazed at the difference in sound, it cost a lot to buy the boards but the difference in the sound of my old Madisound MDY-4's is very apparent. I don't think I could have bought a better amp for 4X the price of the mod and the new filter caps.

It should be a real treat to drive the new A5rx's with this amp.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X