Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are A5RX-C suitable for heavy metal / prog metal ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are A5RX-C suitable for heavy metal / prog metal ?

Hi All,

Thank you in advance for some advices on title question.
    For me about 75% of listen music is heavy metal, prog metal ... but also small amounts of jazz, electronic, audiophile stuff.

I have a Yamaha Aventage A2040, but I use it only in stereo / 2 Ch, and due to its various decoding abilities, also the exceptional Graphic EQ possibilities to correct my bad room acoustics. (room acoustic treatments are just a dream due to wife factor :( )

I am really interested in A5RX-C speakers, I have read about owners very good impressions, but I am concerned about reproduction of my prefered music and especially about drums punch and presence.

Now I have a pair of Paradigm Studio 60 speakers. Love them, but is time for a change ...
    They can go down in low freq (which i dont need due to room issues) but they miss the punch in 200Hz / drums freq area :(

I'm not sure I can answer this quite yet, since I just got my A5s yesterday. However, I do listen the same genres and will be curious to see what others have to say.

Any specific bands? Yesterday, I skipped around checking various songs out. I tried music from Ayreon, Dream Theater, Indukti, Intronaut, Riverside, The Algorithm, and Devin Townsend to name a few. They all sounded great. Instrument separation was great, and I noticed the bass guitar very clearly in many songs (something I tend to have trouble with). Let me know and I'll pay attention to the drums. The speakers due require some burn-in/break-in and like I said I've only had them for a day. But so far I'm happy with them.

Comment

For the Chane line of speakers, it's all in how the audio is recorded. I think the A5's do a great job of reproducing all audio due to it's mostly flat frequency response.
      Heavy metal & prog metal sound great with alot of punch, but not all metal recordings have that punch sound built in. If the original audio source is recorded to have punch in the 100-200hz region, then the A5's will reproduce it. But if that punch feeling isn't in the recording, then the A5's will not artificially create it.
      If your EQ allows you to emphasize the 100-200hz region, then you may be able to artificially produce punch.

Comment

I don't have the A5rx's, but my experience with metal on the A2rx's makes me think they will work perfectly for you. Last night I listened to "The Wreckage of Stars" by Black Crown Initiate in its entirety on my A2's, and I was consistently blown away by how incredible they sounded. Specifically the drums, they perfectly reproduce each and every hit of the bass drums with just the right amount of punch (imo). I was stunned by how accurately they reproduce bass drum.

I doubt the A5's do a worse job than my A2's, so I would highly recommend them!

Comment

200 Hz is not an issue for the A5's, enjoy!

Comment

Thank you all ... I read your comments and other reviews, all are very good, it must be a truth here :)

My concern was that maybe these aren't suitable for this kind of music. Any speaker can deal with 200 Hz, the question is how good it does, does it have the speed, the attack and the punch to feel clear different kind of drums?

The fact that a few already listen that kind of music and for them was OK it is really helpful.

Dream Theatre music is a very good example about what I search from a speaker, they have real heavy-metal passages, melodic passages, fusion ... etc. and a real drumer (even now has left the band :( ) so please if anyone listen Dream Theatre with A5RX-C can describe how do they sound with the first title "6:00" from Awake album ?

http://www.allmusic.com/album/awake-mw0000121769

Unfortunately I live very far from US so if I will succed to get these speakers I cant think I will be able to return ever ...

Comment

I have a set of the 1st or 2nd gen A5, purchased in late 2013. I'm not sure but Aug 2013 should be a good point of reference.

So that being said 90% of my music is metal, Slayer, Ozzy, Pantera, etc.. and it handles them fine. I have a 40x20 room, no room treatments in a finished basement. The back half is open to the stairwell. The A5 fills the room well and if I listen to an original press/cd I can get the music loud enough it hurts my ears but it is still clear and not muddy. Pandora, YT or another audio source isn't as loud and definitely not as clear. Cd's are crystal clear so I'm thinking the compression of files over wifi/internet and what not degrade the sound. W/ any audio source I can make the 1850 sqft ground level shake. The explosions in T5 Genisys are mind blowing for us.

Also, the speakers sounded good when I got them and after a long "break-in" period they sound even better.

1- A5's will only sound as good as the original source. I was listening to Fat Boy Slim-Rockafeller Skank today of YT and even in the official VEVO video, the song did not have the clarity had it come from an original CD. I've heard it as well w/ Pantera CD vs YT versions. The better the source the better the sound. They sound good w/ a mediocre source and are awesome w/ an original source.

2- Have a good power source. I originally used a Denon 2113 and things never sounded as good as I liked. I returned it got a Sony and again it was just ok. I finally got a Sherbourn SR-120 and I'm wowed every time I fire this thing up. Lesson here, have a good quality receiver/power/audio source and I do run the EQ flat for everything, even movies.

3-The A5's are not bass monsters IMHO or at least not in my huge room. The bass is very solid and all frequencies are reproduced rather well for my tastes. The highs are clear, symbols clash clearly and distinctly. Mids and voices are audible and defined well. Kick drums and bass guitar are again distinct and well mannered. Double bass of Slayer, DT, Pantera or the like is reproduced very well. Both instruments combined are still very audible and I can make out either instrument and I often sit at the end of my workout, on the couch just soaking in some World Painted Blood. My couch is 12 feet or so from the towers and is amp loud and full. As I finish typing this, I'm on Metallica's God that Failed and the bass guitar is just awesome :cool:

If you have the coin, just do it. It won't give the rumble bass of a pair of 12" MTX but the MTX cannot give you the clarity either. If you want well rounded musical speaker that reproduces all your instruments distinctly, clearly but with mature authority without sounding muddy then the A5 is your choice. You will hear every single drum piece, the snare, kick drum, all the toms and cymbals all clear and balanced. Don't forget the 1st gen won the HTS $1000 stereo speakers shoot out.

If I had the coin, all 7 of my channels would be A5's and I go "all stereo" :D I love the Arx and believe it's a great speaker. I read that the newer generations are even better and some day I"ll upgrade to the newer versions for the latest specs.

Comment

^ I love feedback and community support like this! This material is helpful to users because it touches on many of the key ingredients of a successful system.

Many thanks for taking the time, powerlifter, and I hope you can contribute again.

Comment

True :)

Thank you all for your spent time in answering at my questions. I hope I will be able to procure a pair of A5EX-C and when this will happen you can count on a feedback here with my impressions ...

Comment

I've had my A5rx-c towers for almost a year now and they blow me away every time I listen to them and I listen to everything but pop and rap and just built myself a 100" DIY spandex projection screen so movies are obviously a must as well for my setup, I power my setup with a Emotiva XPA-5 and while a receiver can power them they really open up with good amplification. Even something like a Emotiva UPA-200 would be great.

Chad

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Lane View Post
                      ^ I love feedback and community support like this! This material is helpful to users because it touches on many of the key ingredients of a successful system.

Many thanks for taking the time, powerlifter, and I hope you can contribute again.
                      Thanks Jon but I'm no true musical review contributor but I hope that my gibberish was helpful to someone. I'm not sure how to best describe the intricacies that the A5 bring but again, I'm glad I was able to contribute.

Originally posted by Biscu View Post
                      True :)

Thank you all for your spent time in answering at my questions. I hope I will be able to procure a pair of A5EX-C and when this will happen you can count on a feedback here with my impressions ...
                      Good luck and you will enjoy them. I had friend over for the SB and I had already given my friend a brief taste the last time they visited but his wife never experienced them. She commented how she really liked them and "we need to get something like this." They are great.

Originally posted by creimes77 View Post
                      I power my setup with a Emotiva XPA-5 and while a receiver can power them they really open up with good amplification. Even something like a Emotiva UPA-200 would be great.

Chad
                      They do like clean power. A good, solid high output amp makes the Arx sing. They will sound better than a HTIB using a lower quality amp but they really wake up w/ more power. I eyeballed the new Outlaw 7900, 7 channels at 300 watts- 8 ohm x all channels, very tempting!! Too bad it only cost money :rolleyes:

Comment

Working...
                      X