X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chane M&C
    replied
    Originally posted by soilentgreen View Post
    Jon, are you comfortable releasing dimensions on the A6.5 at this time? The A6.5 is also in a sealed box correct? So essentially a horizontal A5.5 with the port sealed.
    The A6.5 is bass reflex, front-ported, and about as compact as it can be and still fit the four drivers. It trades bass extension for more output, rating as much sensitivity as the A5.5 but not as much bass depth.

The A6.5 measures 530 x 260 across the front (21" x 10.25" ), and is 290mm deep, or 11.5".

Leave a comment:

• soilentgreen
    replied
    Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post

Be happy to.

The question is always: what's the real effect of model A versus model B. How will I, hearing the system, benefit from one over another. The best answer is to hear both options and come to a personal conclusion; everything else speculates on the tech, which is where sometimes things go a little sideways.

There is no real "best", of course. There are differences. In this case the 3-driver A2.4 MTM 2-way has advantages and the 4-driver A6.5 3-way has advantages. The A2.4 is simpler, symmetrical (makes an excellent vertical L&R speaker) and has the benefit of simplicity - its 2-way configuration, if optimized, simply beats more complex speakers in time and phase-related areas, which translate to its recognized excellence in focus, image, and transparency. The twin 5.25" SplitGap midwoofers can have some four times the linear combined output of a single conventional 5.25" driver so the A2.4 also goes loud. Frankly, I think it's underestimated on the boards by the conventional pundits.

The A6.5 has the advantage of acoustical size, where acoustical size is determined by the swept area of the bass section and to a degree, the independent midrange driver. Its twin 6.5" woofers don't actually go any lower than the A2.4's pair of 5.25" drivers, so instead the A6.5 adds a good 1-2dB more initial output, a freebie. From there the mid and tweeter stack are straight from the A5.5 so that any effort to match them is about as good as it gets, except for actually using another A5.5 as center. The A6.5 is effectively a horizontal A5.5.

Whether the vertical mid-treble stack in a 3-way WT/MW center is as essential as pundits say is questionable. The 3-way speaker's combined additional phase rotation and the lack of the symmetry of an MTM - which can be a lot more beneficial than thought - are traded for much more acoustical size and the benefit of matching the physical and directivity aspects of the A5.5, which is the market the A6.5 will serve. Meanwhile the A2.4 makes a superb center for any Chane model, is symmetrical, can stand vertical for LCR use, and simply sounds great.

Trying to explain sound works better than explaining what sound should be based on assumptions but still, what something really sounds like beats them both. We're looking forward to the A6.5 and its sound, but not because the A2.4 is deficient. The only deficiency the A2.4 has relative to the A6.5 is simply loudness and to a smaller degree, the effect of the A6.5's dedicated midrange, which it shares with the A5.5.
    Jon, are you comfortable releasing dimensions on the A6.5 at this time? The A6.5 is also in a sealed box correct? So essentially a horizontal A5.5 with the port sealed.

Leave a comment:

• Chane M&C
    replied
    Originally posted by TheGief View Post
    @Chane M&C It sounds like you have some thoughts/opinions on this topic. I'd love to know more about your thinking here if it isn't too off topic.
    Be happy to.

The question is always: what's the real effect of model A versus model B. How will I, hearing the system, benefit from one over another. The best answer is to hear both options and come to a personal conclusion; everything else speculates on the tech, which is where sometimes things go a little sideways.

There is no real "best", of course. There are differences. In this case the 3-driver A2.4 MTM 2-way has advantages and the 4-driver A6.5 3-way has advantages. The A2.4 is simpler, symmetrical (makes an excellent vertical L&R speaker) and has the benefit of simplicity - its 2-way configuration, if optimized, simply beats more complex speakers in time and phase-related areas, which translate to its recognized excellence in focus, image, and transparency. The twin 5.25" SplitGap midwoofers can have some four times the linear combined output of a single conventional 5.25" driver so the A2.4 also goes loud. Frankly, I think it's underestimated on the boards by the conventional pundits.

The A6.5 has the advantage of acoustical size, where acoustical size is determined by the swept area of the bass section and to a degree, the independent midrange driver. Its twin 6.5" woofers don't actually go any lower than the A2.4's pair of 5.25" drivers, so instead the A6.5 adds a good 1-2dB more initial output, a freebie. From there the mid and tweeter stack are straight from the A5.5 so that any effort to match them is about as good as it gets, except for actually using another A5.5 as center. The A6.5 is effectively a horizontal A5.5.

Whether the vertical mid-treble stack in a 3-way WT/MW center is as essential as pundits say is questionable. The 3-way speaker's combined additional phase rotation and the lack of the symmetry of an MTM - which can be a lot more beneficial than thought - are traded for much more acoustical size and the benefit of matching the physical and directivity aspects of the A5.5, which is the market the A6.5 will serve. Meanwhile the A2.4 makes a superb center for any Chane model, is symmetrical, can stand vertical for LCR use, and simply sounds great.

Trying to explain sound works better than explaining what sound should be based on assumptions but still, what something really sounds like beats them both. We're looking forward to the A6.5 and its sound, but not because the A2.4 is deficient. The only deficiency the A2.4 has relative to the A6.5 is simply loudness and to a smaller degree, the effect of the A6.5's dedicated midrange, which it shares with the A5.5.

Leave a comment:

• TheGief
    replied

Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post
    It serves the market's attraction to a 3-way center
    @Chane M&C It sounds like you have some thoughts/opinions on this topic. I'd love to know more about your thinking here if it isn't too off topic.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Chane M&C
    replied
    No convincing needed, soilentgreen, but thanks for your enthusiasm. Things just have to go through the normal course of events.

Leave a comment:

• soilentgreen
    replied
    Jon, I don't know if you need some convincing to get the A6.5 out faster, but I am waiting on it. I'll even put up money now for a preorder if you want. I know in the past the dates and timeline for things seems to be off the mark. No offense meant as I understand delays in product launches due to my normal job. I just want to say if there is anything I can do on my part to help make it a reality then let me know. The A5.5s I have are absolutely fantastic to listen to and sound stellar after the burn in. I can't praise these towers enough honestly. They punch well above their price range. Thank you!

The A6.5 can't come fast enough for me.

Leave a comment:

• Chane M&C
    replied
    Jon, any word on what is happening with the A4.4 and A6.5?

Also, does the A6.5 work with A5.5s? I want to pick up a center and surrounds to go with my A5.5s.
    Both are planned as Q1 2020 products, exact dates TBD. The designs are complete.

The dedicated A6.5 center is aimed at the A5.5. It serves the market's attraction to a 3-way center but its primary benefit is greater acoustical size. Driver-for-driver, it is as close to a A5.5 as we can make in a horizontal speaker, but that said, the A2.4 is wildly successful as the center for the A5s.

(PS: I'll update here first, folks - whenever we have real product launch dates and other news, it's yours. Some of this stuff takes forever, but we'll make sure to mention all of it here and less so elsewhere.

Thanks to all of you for a great 2019. I look forward to good things with each of you.)

Leave a comment:

• SuperAce
    replied
    Looking forward to these...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• soilentgreen
    replied

Also, does the A6.5 work with A5.5s? I want to pick up a center and surrounds to go with my A5.5s.

Leave a comment:

• Chane M&C
    replied
    Originally posted by jdb884 View Post
    Jon did these ever make it to production?
    We'll have pre-production copies for photography within days. From there we build a production order, likely including the new A6.5 center.

Originally posted by jdb884 View Post
    Also for some reason the main site never seems to work for me lately.
    It should be fine - just upgraded a bunch of stuff and it takes time to propagate and settle in again.

Leave a comment:

• jdb884
    replied
    Jon did these ever make it to production?

Also for some reason the main site never seems to
    work for me lately.

Leave a comment:

• Chane M&C
    replied
    Originally posted by GoZags View Post
    I hope the 4.4 specs and images arenít packaged with the mueller report, we may never see them! Jk

any word?
    We'll be sure to post everything when it's final...

Leave a comment:

• GoZags
    replied
    I hope the 4.4 specs and images arenít packaged with the mueller report, we may never see them! Jk

any word?

Leave a comment:

• Chane M&C
    replied
    The A4.4 has been on the table this week, and assuming it's completed soon, will move to production before long. The A6.4 should join it. More soon...

Leave a comment:

• Chane M&C
    replied
    Originally posted by GoZags View Post
    Unless I am not seeing it elsewhere, are there images and/or dimensions of the 4.4?
    Not just yet. They'll go up next month, along with the A6.4.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X