A1.5 Voicing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A1.5 Voicing

I’ve been using the Chane A1RX-Cs for about a year now as a second reference for mixing and mastering next to some Tyler Acoustics mains. I might be the only person in the world using Chanes for pro audio, I don’t know.

Overall I’ve been super impressed with these speakers and they are working well for what I use them for. The detail between 10khz-20khz is incredible. The bass is clean and and well defined.

My only issue is that I feel they are voiced to be pretty lean on the low end. Maybe they are designed to be used with a sub in a 2.1 setup? I need to add some bass with EQ to get them to sound balanced to me. I’m not saying they’re right or wrong, this is all subjective of course, and I prefer more low end than the average person.

So finally to my question, I see that there is a new 1.5 model coming out that will be re-tuned to sound more like main speakers. Can I expect these to be voiced a little bit stronger in the low end?

After using these speakers I’m a believer in the drivers. The woofers hold up well even when I boost the bass and seem to have extremely low distortion and are not one note thumpers like many small ported speakers are. The planar tweeters have tons of detail. Definitely great speakers and an awesome value. I just wish there was a little more low end.

The A1.5 is a little more of a main monitor than the A1rx-c. Since introduction all the A1's served a variety of purposes and so were built to give a good sound in a variety of situations. Many of them are in surround, desktop, on-wall, and other more confined installations.

The SplitGap woofer has oodles of clean available output and as you found, the planar treble driver resolves detail well. The A1.5 will rebalance the spectrum somewhat because there'll be an A4.5 dedicated onwall (or desk speaker or sub-assisted speaker) coming before long. The A1 model can transition more toward main monitor use now.

We took specific steps to optimize the design for its changing role and I think the A1.5 also presents a subjectively larger image laterally and vertically. If you're monitoring you may find it even more resolving. It'd be interesting to find out.

Please send me an email. I'm interested in the pro monitoring aspect and would like to help out...
    J. Lane

Comment

Originally posted by BrentA View Post
      I’ve been using the Chane A1RX-Cs for about a year now as a second reference for mixing and mastering next to some Tyler Acoustics mains. I might be the only person in the world using Chanes for pro audio, I don’t know.

Overall I’ve been super impressed with these speakers and they are working well for what I use them for. The detail between 10khz-20khz is incredible. The bass is clean and and well defined.

My only issue is that I feel they are voiced to be pretty lean on the low end. Maybe they are designed to be used with a sub in a 2.1 setup? I need to add some bass with EQ to get them to sound balanced to me. I’m not saying they’re right or wrong, this is all subjective of course, and I prefer more low end than the average person.

So finally to my question, I see that there is a new 1.5 model coming out that will be re-tuned to sound more like main speakers. Can I expect these to be voiced a little bit stronger in the low end?

After using these speakers I’m a believer in the drivers. The woofers hold up well even when I boost the bass and seem to have extremely low distortion and are not one note thumpers like many small ported speakers are. The planar tweeters have tons of detail. Definitely great speakers and an awesome value. I just wish there was a little more low end.
      The A1.5 will produces more bass, further away from boundaries. As Jon stated, he tuned it several steps closer to a stand alone monitor as opposed to a desktop/small system solution.

What amp do you use to power them?

Those Tyler Acoustics speakers are really fantastic as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I probably should have provided an update on this earlier. After talking with Jon I ended up pulling the trigger on the new 1.5's.

They are indeed a more balanced sounding speaker to my ears than the A1RX-C's. More low end, and the highs are smoother without losing any detail. They might even have a bit more detail than the A1RX-C. They really retain pretty much everything I liked about the A1RX-C while improving everything that I thought was a weakness. Transient response is phenomenal. The high end is great and you can really hear the details in the different frequencies way up in the range. Imaging is maybe the best I've ever heard on any speaker, and there are times that I hear issues in music with the Chanes that even the Tyler Acoustics don't reveal as apparently.

I've auditioned several bookshelf monitors to complement the Tyler Acoustics and I feel like I can finally stop now with the 1.5s.

The only negative I can think of compared to the A1RX-C is that I feel the 1.5s have a little less power handling, due to the woofer not being capable of quite as much excursion. They can still get plenty loud though.

Other engineers and musicians who have visited my studio have been able to sit down and work on these speakers without the usual adjustment time that is normally required when mixing on new speakers. I think it's due to the natural and transparent nature of the Chanes.

I'm still evaluating how well mixes and masters translate to other systems. That will take a while. But overall I'm super happy with the 1.5s and feel like they are a big step forward over the A1RX-C.

Comment

Thanks for the followup, Brent. Nice to learn that you find the A1.5 of that caliber. We design our stuff for genuine musicality.

Each of your observations, in addition to being insightful, has a root cause. It's interesting to see each of them connect as they have. I'll cover the high points.

They are indeed a more balanced sounding speaker to my ears than the A1RX-C's. More low end, and the highs are smoother without losing any detail. They might even have a bit more detail than the A1RX-C. They really retain pretty much everything I liked about the A1RX-C while improving everything that I thought was a weakness.
          These characteristics relate to the A1.5 being adjusted a little more for main channel use - we decided that with the A4.5 onwall speaker coming out that the SplitGap woofer in the A1.5 could be put to good use as a dedicated main speaker's woofer. Re-tailoring the crossover gives the A1.5 a little less overall sensitivity, but it also adds relative bass reach and level, extending the speaker downward. With this comes the added relaxed openness. You're hearing both of these characteristics.

Transient response is phenomenal. The high end is great and you can really hear the details in the different frequencies way up in the range. Imaging is maybe the best I've ever heard on any speaker, and there are times that I hear issues in music with the Chanes that even the Tyler Acoustics don't reveal as apparently.
          This is the result of my moving away from the more accepted, theoretical design type and into some deliberate things I've been working on. The A1.5 has become something of a British-style broadcast monitor, and it should exhibit a very open, wide, and insightful stage. Part of this lends itself to the sense of refinement and part to the imaging, both of which you noticed.

The only negative I can think of compared to the A1RX-C is that I feel the 1.5s have a little less power handling, due to the woofer not being capable of quite as much excursion. They can still get plenty loud though.
          Part of that is the slightly lower sensitivity asking for more volume knob, and part is the slightly more responsive woofer suspension. It's a trade-off we felt served the profile we were aiming for. Given that you're probably unloading into them for main monitor duty and given that SplitGap A1s have never been said to flinch at power in the 5" mini class, it seems to be working.

Other engineers and musicians who have visited my studio have been able to sit down and work on these speakers without the usual adjustment time that is normally required when mixing on new speakers. I think it's due to the natural and transparent nature of the Chanes.

I'm still evaluating how well mixes and masters translate to other systems. That will take a while. But overall I'm super happy with the 1.5s and feel like they are a big step forward over the A1RX-C.
          The A1.5 exemplifies the A Series approach of late, the final tweak in all three main models that will shortly be joined by two more. (Those two are the A4.5 onwall mini and a larger 3-way center called the A6.5.)

I never thought of pro monitoring for the A1. Good to learn they do not disappoint. Thank you.

I'd encourage you to summarize these thoughts in our Reviews sub-forum too...

J. Lane

Comment

Working...
          X