This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spidacat View Post
    Interesting that you mention that. I finally made it to a nice audio store to look at speakers. I haven't really listened to anything but my own in years and wanted to see what was out there for a similar amount of money and what my preferences were. My least favorites were B&W and my favorite was the PSB Imagine T2's (very discounted floor models). I've never heard Chane's previous offerings, but I really hope they're voiced closer to the PSB's than the B&W's.
    I can't comment either on another brand or on exactly what's in our own, but I can say that I value as linear a response as we can achieve, combined with the most openness and the highest level of freedom from edge, strain, grit, glare, etc. In other words, a speaker without either an artificial tune or a speaker designed for "more" in any of the simple qualifying regions: Bass, treble, midrange; the three catch-alls for the more notice listener.

A speaker should be musical first and linear second. To get that we design and tune away as much additive color as the product tier allows - how quiet can we afford to make a model - which adds to musicality. We start expecting to make a speaker with a flat amplitude response but we tune for musicality within that envelope. It's fairly simple to explain; somewhat more difficult to pull off...

Comment

• Hey Spideycat, we have all been there. It is difficult to pull the trigger on something you have never heard. I remember when I bought my first SVS Subwoofer...all word of mouth from people I came to trust. Needless to say, I have been very pleased with it. Same goes here, a lot of expectation based not only on previous products, but also the philosophy behind the man. We grown accustomed to being wowed. And Jon knows this! He has earned our ear.

If you are considering this latest iteration from Jon, https://www.avnirvana.com is planning a review of this model if everything works out. You get straight talk form us on everything we review. Sonnie and crew use his room which is treated acoustically to make it all but dissappear. Makes evaluating speakers so nice. If you are reluctant to pull the trigger, I highly recommend reading the review when it happens. You wont get a more honest evalutation..
      Last edited by Quenten; 03-28-2018, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• I agree with Quenten. Sonnie and company were the ones that introduced me to Chane with the speaker comparison a few years ago, in which the A5 was preferred over the others and received high praise. Although I did purchase the A1.4 to get a feel for the Chane philosophy on speakers, I am still planning on the L series largely because of what has been said about them by people whose opinion I value. Excited to get them for sure.

Quenten, you may want to fix your post - the link to the forum is incorrect. Should be http://www.avnirvana.com. Maybe Nirvania is like Nirvana on steroids? :biglaugh:

Comment

• Quenten,

The AVS, HTS, and AVNirvana shootouts with the 5 series were one of the main reasons I'm seriously considering the L7's. Chane's have done very well when compared to other speakers in or above their class (price wise). I may have to go and re-read some of the comments to refresh my memory. It may not matter, but I guess I was hoping to find a few comparisons to other brands. The shoot outs just talk about the speaker's characteristics, not how they compare to one another. I certainly don't want to end up with something sounding like my least favorites from the weekend.

I also bought my subs "unheard", but I think speakers are a lot more subjective than subs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Quenten View Post
            It is difficult to pull the trigger on something you have never heard.

If you are considering this latest iteration from Jon, http://Avnirvana.com is planning a review of this model if everything works out. You get straight talk form us on everything we review. Sonnie and crew use his room which is treated acoustically to make it all but dissappear. Makes evaluating speakers so nice. If you are reluctant to pull the trigger, I highly recommend reading the review when it happens. You wont get a more honest evalutation..
            Originally posted by bkeeler10 View Post
            I agree with Quenten. Sonnie and company were the ones that introduced me to Chane with the speaker comparison a few years ago, in which the A5 was preferred over the others and received high praise. Although I did purchase the A1.4 to get a feel for the Chane philosophy on speakers, I am still planning on the L series largely because of what has been said about them by people whose opinion I value. Excited to get them for sure.
            Originally posted by Spidacat View Post
            The AVS, HTS, and AVNirvana shootouts with the 5 series were one of the main reasons I'm seriously considering the L7's. Chane's have done very well when compared to other speakers in or above their class (price wise). I may have to go and re-read some of the comments to refresh my memory.

I also bought my subs "unheard", but I think speakers are a lot more subjective than subs.
            Hi Guys,

There's no substitute for ears-on experience. The work Sonnie and crew started at Home Theater Shack and continue at AVNirvana is unique in the field and in my view their method should replace the hearsay and speculation that passes for informed opinion elsewhere. Chane has used this method for years and it's good to see it as a public resource. I wanted to make something genuinely different when I started the original Arx (and Dana) projects and it seems we've had some success in doing so. User reports are also consistently enthusiastic.

I did not want to offer just another parts-in-a-box effort; the market is full of those. I felt that we could draw on some valued and cherished influences to create a more musical, dynamic, authentic sound, and that aim and philosophy will always drive our progress. The L series is a conscious next-level effort to take real, audible advantage of next-level tech and design engineering.

I look forward to popping a few new models over to endeavors like AVNirvana for evaluation. If the A series can do this well, the path forward, while not very timely, is clear. I just wish we could have gone there months ago rather than in the near future. At any rate, you have my word that this philosophy will be our focus.

Comment

• Thanks Bleeker10, my wife was rushing me to get to get out of the house & I did't proof it. Several corrections made!

Comment

• Jon

I know I am a pain but if you have a picture of the L7's with thier drivers in (first prototype or whatever) can you post it please :) I want to make it my wall paper until I can order them.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1st Time Caller View Post
                  ...if you have a picture of the L7's with thier drivers in (first prototype or whatever) can you post it please :) I want to make it my wall paper until I can order them.
                  You got it. The moment we have the production version to document I'll post everything here. We started the import paperwork this morning.

Comment

• Will the L series eventually be made in the US?

Comment

• Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
                      Will the L series eventually be made in the US?
                      Designed, assembled, tested, and packed in the US from the outset.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post
                        Designed, assembled, tested, and packed in the US from the outset.
                        What about the parts? USA made as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by GFOviedo View Post
                          What about the parts? USA made as well?
                          I think only Eminence offers US-made drivers, GFOviedo, so unless I'm wrong we can safely assume that everything else to be assembled in the US will be imported. You're probably at least somewhat familiar with the famous international driver OEMs that supply high end US speaker brands.

In the case of the L series, the drivers are - and I kid you not - in the top tier of production drivers from the Scandanavian school. Versions have appeared in upper five-figure products. I'm excited to continue the tradition we started with Dana and move into even more advanced versions for the Chane Ls. Very good stuff...

Comment

• All the tidbits of information about the L series are starting to add up to one heck of a speaker line.

Comment

• I am starting to think the drivers will be comming from over SEAS ;)

Comment

• I was thinking the drivers might be Scan Speak. Due to cost, I'm sure the revelator woofer won't be used.

Comment

Working...
                                X