X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [post moved to the L thread]

Originally posted by alphazoom View Post
    Oh noes.... you just had to say that.... splitting up the midranges didn't you. I love that idea.... not a lot of companies do that.
    I'm glad you like it. So do I, and it wasn't part of the original A7 concept that this thread started with. It's just another of the dozens of advantages the L line has acquired over time.

Originally posted by alphazoom View Post
    Anyways.... the L6 is where I would go.... I'm sure the L6 is more than the A5.4. I do wonder by how much though....
    Well, the L6 is the L7's center speaker. If you're thinking about a more conservative L tower, I'd like to do an L5, or approximately the L version of the A line.

It'll all become clearer when we document these models. Working on landing them asap.

Comment

• Originally posted by growboxguy View Post
      So it will be safe to assume the L7 will be in the $1500 to $1700 a pair price range?
      I honestly don't know just yet, gbg. Trying hard but not quite there yet.

Comment

• Jon

I know you are going nuts getting the a's ready to ship but any L love yet? Pic of the 6 and 7 with drivers? :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Comment

• Originally posted by 1st Time Caller View Post
          I know you are going nuts getting the a's ready to ship but any L love yet? Pic of the 6 and 7 with drivers?
          You know that thing where everybody drops a ball sometime? I'm currently wrestling with the freight people to get these launched in our direction. It's always something, but we'll prevail. Nobody wants a studio foto session with all seven models more than I do. At least that I know of, that is. ;)

Comment

• Another quick update, folks. You'll remember that I was working on getting seven different pairs of new models here in record time but without spending a fortune doing it. Just for reference, shipping four pallets by air comes to over $5100, or what to me is a fortune. Floating them here is affordable but takes 6-8 weeks, which for us impatient types is a little too long.

Our logistics company is the largest there is. Yesterday we had a terrific one hour conference that brought a lot of new assets to the table, one of them being Chane vending LTL (truck) deliveries right from the Chane webcart - customers like yourself will be able to review and select palletized orders of larger, heavier products and whole systems right in your checkout screen that include needed accessorial options like liftgate drop off, inside deliveries, and even white glove unpacking.

Getting back to those seven models, among the assets we'd been working with for the last few weeks is a ocean express system. Don't ask me how they do it but apparently it's possible to expedite freight from points on the globe - for ocean costs and not air costs - at a third off the usual transit time. I guess you can do this when your global shipping system is so vast and interlocked.

The short story is that I should have arrangements as early as today to get those seven different pairs here in 30 days, which beats 6-8 weeks. From there the first steps are finalizing them and documenting the features, specs, and photography.

Oh, and while the team had nailed down the product architecture months ago, this week we also confirmed an element of the drivers that I think you'll appreciate. I'm going to try to pre-release some shots of these parts before I do the complete product itself. Pretty stuff...

Comment

• We have seen sneak peaks of four new models out of seven in the L series. Of the three remaining new models, are any for the high spl (over 92 db) crowd?

Comment

• Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
                We have seen sneak peaks of four new models out of seven in the L series. Of the three remaining new models, are any for the high spl (over 92 db) crowd?
                For reference, all at 2.83v,

L7: 92dB
                L6: 92dB (4 ohm)

Some other stuff: 94.5dB (6 ohm) and 91.5dB. The A5.4 is 92dB too, at 6 ohms.

Comment

• Jon, What is your opinion about speaker break in? More specifically I mean should they be broken in (20 hours for example) before running Audyssey? If the sound signature might change slightly, I'd want that out of the way before running room correction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spidacat View Post
                    Jon, What is your opinion about speaker break in? More specifically I mean should they be broken in (20 hours for example) before running Audyssey? If the sound signature might change slightly, I'd want that out of the way before running room correction.
                    Personally I think it's a big component of sound for anyone using a system for focused listening, especially in stereo when there's no visual competition for his or her attention. I'd say that for any SSI-based system - Sound Stage and Imaging - break-in is essential.

I agree with your reasoning: Get set up, get some time on things, do your dialing-in of position and toe, and only after appreciable time conditions the system would you start adding other variables or EQing environments. That's not just logical, it's proven.

There's a thread here on speaker break-in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post
                      Personally I think it's a big component of sound for anyone using a system for focused listening [...] There's a thread here on speaker break-in.
                      I used to think speaker break-in was BS - some manufacturers still claim this. I still recall a cabinet I built with 3 18s in it that I got all tuned on the first day, then about 3 days later when the speakers broke it I thought it was going to blow out my windows when they "woke up".

The cones were polypropylene skins if that matters.

We have to move overseas for a year or two Jon. Can't wait to come back and see what new speaker models you have cooked up for us by then, once we get back to the states! We LOVE our A5s/A3s and our H/T w/a PSA v1801 is amazing for the $ spent.

Comment

• Jon

Have not bugged you for 15 days :) Did the babies get on the plane boat combo and are they close to being in your hands? I know we are 2 3 months out from production shipping but would love to see them and have you opinion of their musical sweetness once you set them up to test them :)

Comment

Did the babies get on the plane boat combo and are they close to being in your hands? I know we are 2 3 months out from production shipping but would love to see them and have you opinion of their musical sweetness once you set them up to test them :)
                          You know that thing where It's Always Something? I'm still working with various associates and terms to get this first set inbound - every time we get something nailed down it's not quite nailed down. It's Always Something.

That said, we were reviewing the inspection report just this morning, which with the photo set give us a good sense of what to expect. There are the usual final details to settle - none of which impact the seven different sets of samples in question - so we're actually in good shape on the production side. The trick right now is the transit of the 14 sample units.

I'll update the moment I can. Definitely getting closer ... and it's good-looking stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post
                            I'll update the moment I can. Definitely getting closer ... and it's good-looking stuff.
                            Sounding Jon Sounding, Will they be the best of swans and Dana married to give us Carganie hall / Blue note goodness?

Comment

Will they be the best of swans and Dana married to give us Carganie hall / Blue note goodness?
                              The Swans were monster values to be sure, and the Dana were ahead of their time - their principle design and technical points showed up in a very major premium brand some years later.

The Swans were also acoustically larger than the Danas. The largest Swan were the double-8" 6.1s and 6.2s and the largest Dana was a single 6.5" shelf or stand monitor. That's a difference of about four times.

With deference to the Swans and with respect for their owners, the L series is in another zone all across the board. And with regard to the Danas, we've consciously taken L to one clear level past them too - they are in the Dana league but with newer tech. Meanwhile the L line premieres with the largest two models so there's no advantage to either of the two other brands even there.

Now we just need to execute.

Comment

• Jon

Please forgive us for being persistent (pests) We are all passionate on what you offer /produce and are excited to turn the promise / fantasy into reality in our listening rooms. I am hoping enough of us get on board that we create a chane cult like Dynaudio has. The Chane Sound :biglaugh:

Comment

Working...
                                X