X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaky Business Model

Originally posted by powerlifter405 View Post
    Thanks for the info on the progression. Like I was saying I'm curious to see what new systems come out next. I'm definitely excited about things to come, especially the larger 7 series. And more importantly I am pleased to see the staying power that the Arx/Chane systems have acquired. So many business come and go but when a sound business model is adhered to and CS is at the top of priorities it keeps a loyal base. I've seen a few companies continually trying to come up w/ new product w/o ever really cementing the "new/old" product they put to market 6 months prior. As they are trying to back fill old orders they are putting out new items that are 3-4 months pre-production.

I've had no real need for new towers or speakers but I always come back to see what new offers are about.
    My wife says if I'm not spending money on my truck I find ways to spend it on HT equipment ;)
    PL405, I couldn't agree with you more, those are my sentiments exactly. I just don't understand the business model of some ID companies that are taking pre-orders for new products when there's a backlog of previous models that have not shipped but are paid for upfront so those funds can go towards the development of promised new products which have no semblance to the new/old products that were put to market six months to a year ago. Cookie cutter designs that appear every few months when the original models are not even proven, tested or QC'd prior to shipping.

There's nothing worse than in field anomalies that should have been detected and rectified prior to release. After the frustration of 3-4 month lead times of paid for products and then trying to cancel the order and recoup your investment that becomes a time and nonproductive effort, so frustration on both initial and end stage process puts you in a very precarious position....

These above statements cements my faith and belief in Mr. Jon Lane that until you have a proven well thought out design and have stock available with very reasonable lead times and funds available for R&D instead of using potential customer's pre-order money to finance your endeavors. :mad: I would rather wait a year for a new product than take a gamble on a two month research and development concept and releasing a NEW design without a positive proven previous product success track record. Read for yourself the comments made in the ID company's audio forum from actual people who are falling further down the rabbit hole with no light at the end, blind faith....elevator with no bottom floor, how do you get off?

I'm done ranting, it sounds as though I'm one of the victims of these so called "best bang for buck" fly by night companies (I'm not) that have built their business model on a foundation made of sand, like a kite dancing in a hurricane....:)
    Are we in the Matrix hoping for Neo to release us from our bondage, do you believe yet? :eek:

Cheers Jeffrey
    Last edited by jnordi; 03-26-2016, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Hi! Just wanted to check-in and see what the progress on the L7 looked like. Can't wait to see this new beauty!
      Cheers,
      YC1984

Comment

Originally posted by jnordi View Post
        PL405, I couldn't agree with you more, those are my sentiments exactly. I just don't understand the business model of some ID companies that are taking pre-orders for new products when there's a backlog of previous models that have not shipped but are paid for upfront so those funds can go towards the development of promised new products which have no semblance to the new/old products that were put to market six months to a year ago. Cookie cutter designs that appear every few months when the original models are not even proven, tested or QC'd prior to shipping.

There's nothing worse than in field anomalies that should have been detected and rectified prior to release. After the frustration of 3-4 month lead times of paid for products and then trying to cancel the order and recoup your investment that becomes a time and nonproductive effort, so frustration on both initial and end stage process puts you in a very precarious position....

These above statements cements my faith and belief in Mr. Jon Lane that until you have a proven well thought out design and have stock available with very reasonable lead times and funds available for R&D instead of using potential customer's pre-order money to finance your endeavors. :mad: I would rather wait a year for a new product than take a gamble on a two month research and development concept and releasing a NEW design without a positive proven previous product success track record. Read for yourself the comments made in the ID company's audio forum from actual people who are falling further down the rabbit hole with no light at the end, blind faith....elevator with no bottom floor, how do you get off?

I'm done ranting, it sounds as though I'm one of the victims of these so called "best bang for buck" fly by night companies (I'm not) that have built their business model on a foundation made of sand, like a kite dancing in a hurricane....:)
        Are we in the Matrix hoping for Neo to release us from our bondage, do you believe yet? :eek:

Cheers Jeffrey
        You hit the nail on the head and I'm guessing you know which ID company is currently on another board having a boat load of delivery issues. I had ordered something with little knowledge of how bad the wait time was but cancelled as time wore on. Lessen learned. One thing I recall when I ordered my A5 and A1 was that Jon only took a limited number of pre-orders where some ID companies are taking as much as they can get. And I believe you could be spot on that some of companies are using new orders paying to build the old orders. I recently spent time on the phone w/ a fellow member who had his PayPal echeck bounce when he was finally issued a 3 week old due refund.

It appears Jon has never rushed anything to market and I don't mind waiting for refined versions to come to market. My Arx and my Sherbourn have been my only AV equipment that haven't given me some sort of fit.

That all being the case I'm excited to possibly grab an 2.4 however I have considered larger towers and the L7 could possibly fit the bill if I'm willing to move up. If the L7 comes out then I'll have to get a matching L6 for the center. W/ the extra available cone area the larger speakers provide I'd just be simply acquiring more output which I'm willing to take :cool:

I really hope to hear more news about the L7 and L6 in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by YC1984 View Post
          Hi! Just wanted to check-in and see what the progress on the L7 looked like. Can't wait to see this new beauty!
          Originally posted by powerlifter405 View Post
          It appears Jon has never rushed anything to market and I don't mind waiting for refined versions to come to market. My Arx and my Sherbourn have been my only AV equipment that haven't given me some sort of fit.

That all being the case I'm excited to possibly grab an 2.4 however I have considered larger towers and the L7 could possibly fit the bill if I'm willing to move up. If the L7 comes out then I'll have to get a matching L6 for the center. W/ the extra available cone area the larger speakers provide I'd just be simply acquiring more output which I'm willing to take :cool:

I really hope to hear more news about the L7 and L6 in the near future.
          Guys,

Thanks for the kind words, really. The L7, and it's matching center, the L6, have cleared everything but the prototype shop. That was dealt with this past Friday so I'm expecting good things. Both models are part of a rapid response effort I've been working on. Once it's completely engaged we'll have these models and more. ("More" doesn't mean more in this product series, just a few bits and pieces to make things interesting elsewhere.)

This production effort is something I've wanted for some time. It gives Chane more of the functions of the typical smaller ID brand. The regular four Chane models, which are about to include the new A1.4 and A2.4 as announced yesterday, continue to be bleeding-edge efforts at highest value and thus are always large-order, longer timeframe acquisitions. That supply chain type isn't typical for ID. The L series are a distinctly different scenario.

The L7 will be a 1225mm tower much in the vein of the 1000mm A5 series. The L7 coincidentally uses seven drivers, and happens to be optimized for exceptional output from a direct-radiating (non-horn) system with excellent transient response. The L6 shall use our very successful A2.4-type crossover. Both will be offered in satin black and possibly fine veneers in the future.

I'm really excited about both. They are a dream come true in that the component quality, sound quality prospects, and value are top shelf. I can't project the price, but for a product of this ability and makeup, it'd run a number of thousands in the popular market, and five figures in the boutique market.

You'll naturally ask me about timeframes. I honestly don't know. Obviously they've taken months longer than expected, but this owes to supply logistics entirely - it's not any issue with the models themselves. This in turn owes to the simple fact that nobody is attempting this level of competitiveness. We see fancy towers costing three times the A5rx-c that weigh ten pounds less and have literally a third the acoustical size. The L6 and L7 will keep with our formula of black-boxing to keep value high.

Fortunately this is an any-day-now situation - we could be showing pictures in this thread before long. Thanks again and know that I'll do everything I can for my part to make this a reality. I have the highest expectations, especially since we know what we're capable of in our other well-received models.

And yes, there will be a modest Group Buy. :) I'll owe you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Lane View Post
            The L7 coincidentally uses seven drivers
            :eek:

I was expecting six drivers for some reason. This thing should have pretty hefty output capability :D

Comment

Originally posted by bkeeler10 View Post
              I was expecting six drivers for some reason. This thing should have pretty hefty output capability :D
              You had the basics, bk. It's six with an 'extra' to give it more power and a little more tunability right where needed. It's actually a fairly straight-forward three-way; a speaker right in the A5's area, only grown up. Folks wanted a bigger A5 from the beginning, and this is it. Simpler than it looks, and clean.

Comment

Well Jon,

It's easy to talk highly about a product that performs as it should and in the Arx case, above and beyond. Like many here I've heard or owned "loud" or speakers with a lot of output but nothing, absolutely nothing has provided the clarity and SQ the Arx has given me. They can get loud and they have excellent SQ.

It's exciting to hear about the L series progress. I'll have to email you soon as I have a few questions and we need to finish up another conversation that we got lost on.

Comment

:eek::eek::eek:

Wow Jon, you really got me excited now!!

Will the towers be bi-ampable?

Comment

Originally posted by YC1984 View Post
                    Will the towers be bi-ampable?
                    Yes they will.

Comment

So the L7 will be about 9" taller than the A5, that's pretty incredible with the extra drivers, I'm sure it will have a small foot print as well with some type of out riggers for stability :)

Jeffrey

Comment

Originally posted by jnordi View Post
                        So the L7 will be about 9" taller than the A5, that's pretty incredible with the extra drivers, I'm sure it will have a small foot print as well with some type of out riggers for stability :)

Jeffrey
                        Right on both counts, Jeffrey.

Comment

Right on both counts, Jeffrey.
                          Hi Jon,

Sent ya an email. If you'd prefer we can habla via phone as emails can get long winded.

Thanks

Comment

Very interested!!!

Comment

Guys,

Fortunately this is an any-day-now situation - we could be showing pictures in this thread before long. Thanks again and know that I'll do everything I can for my part to make this a reality. I have the highest expectations, especially since we know what we're capable of in our other well-received models.

And yes, there will be a modest Group Buy. :) I'll owe you guys.

Ohhhh, pictures would be nice of the L7 and L6! Also would it be at all possible to disclose rough measurements of the L6 center ... ?
                              Really looking forward to the these new speakers!!! :ohboy:

Comment

Originally posted by UnderARock View Post
                                Ohhhh, pictures would be nice of the L7 and L6! Also would it be at all possible to disclose rough measurements of the L6 center ... ?
                                Really looking forward to the these new speakers!!! :ohboy:
                                Love those emoticons or whatever those are. I wonder how those got in here. :cool:

I prefer to get photos posted of the genuine article. I figure I owe you all that. I can say the A6 is a good-sized speaker and definitely in an acoustic category a step above the A2.4. The A2.4 packs a huge punch but once we go to the clear next size or step beyond it, we find ourselves looking at something in the L6's category. I just need to get them here.

Comment

Working...
                                X