Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Chane L7 thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Chane L7 thread.

    The L7 is a 'Lane A7' tower that a few folks have been asking about following the A5's success. This thread will track its L7's progress.

    [-Updated 2017 to reflect new technology options.]

  • #2
    EDITED 11/18 to remove content related to A7 and SplitGap bass drivers. The L Series is now using a new technology set.

    Really nice to hear from you all. I've been way behind on this, and regret it. I took a little time off this year, and as many of you know, have spent a fair amount of the rest of the last four or five months preoccupied with the new site. Rather than risking new estimates, let's just say that the L7 is alive, but it follows continuing redevelopment of the four smaller models.

    Right now I'm back to settling arrangements unrelated to an L7 with our cabinet supplier, after which L7 prototypes should happen. The existing L7 components I already developed will pop right in. From there the L7 should be back on track, and perhaps some other surprises.

    But yeah: Really great to hear from you on this. Consider the fire lit.

    Comment


    • #3
      This is very exciting and interesting news. For the most part I'm just lurking and staying on the sideline.
      But I need to chime in anticipation of the L7. Here's hoping its bullnosed & painted. Please.:)
      Last edited by MBE2014; 11-12-2015, 06:03 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Trying to revive this thread! Now that the beautiful website is online and that the A3rx-c and A5rx-c are on their way to the warehouse, any updates or outlook in the L7 / little suprises mentioned above? I'm secretly hoping for a big brother to the A5rx-c with more bass output! :D

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by YC1984 View Post
          Trying to revive this thread! Now that the beautiful website is online and that the A3rx-c and A5rx-c are on their way to the warehouse, any updates or outlook in the L7 / little suprises mentioned above? I'm secretly hoping for a big brother to the A5rx-c with more bass output! :D
          Thanks for the note. Things are moving forward, although going through the steps I noted above. The L7 was (or is) a larger A5. A larger A5 is looking like it wants to move in a somewhat different direction than the original L7 concept. The end result will be similar, but the new direction should offer more resolution and a broader, more refined acoustical personality.

          I originally opened this thread partly as an optimistic reaction to a new partnership. That partnership didn't produce the desired effect, and frankly, I'm happier having the freedom to go into areas I know will be unique and effective. I realize the narrative here hasn't progressed a great deal (and I've decided to say less and do more) but having recently rejoined some good people I've known for years, 2016 looks good.

          I do this thing because I like it and because it offers creative opportunities - it's not because the business model is lucrative; that I can say. Chane is a modest endeavor, but there appears to be a creative vacuum I really feel we can fill. That's where I want to be.

          Happy Holidays to all of you. I appreciate your unwavering interest and enthusiasm more than I can say. I trust this forum will show new activity before long...

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for the update Jon. Do you envision the driver layout will be the same as before, ie 3 6.5" woofers, 2 5.25" midrange and the planar tweeter?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bkeeler10 View Post
              Thanks for the update Jon. Do you envision the driver layout will be the same as before, ie 3 6.5" woofers, 2 5.25" midrange and the planar tweeter?
              Be patient my friend, I'm sure Jon will update us as soon as he feels it's time to do so. I'd rather wait to see some thing tangible which leads to a prototype we can all see. :) I realize the excitement can be overwhelming but the end result will tell the tale, rewarding comes to mind among other attributes as well.

              Cheers Jeffrey

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bkeeler10 View Post
                Thanks for the update Jon. Do you envision the driver layout will be the same as before, ie 3 6.5" woofers, 2 5.25" midrange and the planar tweeter?
                Originally posted by jnordi View Post
                Be patient my friend, I'm sure Jon will update us as soon as he feels it's time to do so. I'd rather wait to see some thing tangible which leads to a prototype we can all see. :) I realize the excitement can be overwhelming but the end result will tell the tale, rewarding comes to mind among other attributes as well.
                I really appreciate both remarks, guys, and I hope to show some stuff in this forum within a reasonable period of time.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Any updates on the A7? Do you guys have any other secrets that we can start drooling over :D

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by powerlifter405 View Post
                    Any updates on the A7? Do you guys have any other secrets that we can start drooling over :D
                    It's been WAY too quiet here; less going on than when I started this forum, I admit. That said, the L7 is finally a fully-fledged concept and while exact production isn't a lock yet, I'd like to think we'll have some prototypes here this spring to test, photograph, and tune.

                    I just wasn't 100% pleased with the direction the model took through about mid last year, but that changed when some new options appeared. Now the model is really well balanced and its specifications are stunning. I have the time to devote to it again, and it really is what I'd always wanted the L7 to be.

                    We can't make just another tower. After the A5 platform's success, this model really has to click and as of this month I think we have the right ingredients. With some good news from the supply chain hopefully we can make an announcement in a month or so.

                    Thanks for asking. I really want this model to happen like it looks it shall...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      ^ This is good to hear. Is it too early to share what the likely driver complement will be? Thanks Jon.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by bkeeler10 View Post
                        ^ This is good to hear. Is it too early to share what the likely driver complement will be? Thanks Jon.
                        It's better to wait for a green light before revealing the ingredients, but the mix is very capable. It's become a large model, with wide, fast response. Could stand about 4' tall...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Jon Lane View Post
                          It's better to wait for a green light before revealing the ingredients, but the mix is very capable. It's become a large model, with wide, fast response. Could stand about 4' tall...
                          W/ a 40x20 room to fill the 2013 model A5 works well however I'd love to have a larger pair of Arx towers for the headroom when I'm really feeling the need to rock out.

                          I read several pages back the A6 was a basic idea for to use as a center. Will the A6 be a voice dedicated unit should it come to fruition or is there something more appropriate in the works that is more center channel/voice/dialog oriented? My hearings sucks so I'd be game to a speaker that is HT center/voice focused. I run the rest of the system 2-ch for music, unfortunately my AVR will not select "all stereo" w/ my current setup.

                          I look forward to what the next few years will bring. My wife loves our setup but I'm open minded about new Chane/Arx products.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by powerlifter405 View Post
                            I read several pages back the A6 was a basic idea for to use as a center. Will the A6 be a voice dedicated unit should it come to fruition or is there something more appropriate in the works that is more center channel/voice/dialog oriented?
                            The A6 concept called for a horizontal, center channel layout, using the A5 mid and treble and a pair of flanking 6.5" woofers instead of the A5's triple 5" stack. As such it wouldn't suit vertical use, like the double-duty A2.

                            Acoustically, the A5 doesn't really need anything much larger than the A2 platform, however, even though I'm sure an A6 would be very popular.

                            I think any 6 platform center will instead appear instead alongside the L7, as a more deluxe, larger speaker. In other words, an L6 will more resemble a horizontal L7.

                            Originally posted by powerlifter405 View Post
                            I look forward to what the next few years will bring. My wife loves our setup but I'm open minded about new Chane/Arx products.
                            Thank you for that. We're renewing efforts for 2016 and it looks promising.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Thanks for the info on the progression. Like I was saying I'm curious to see what new systems come out next. I'm definitely excited about things to come, especially the larger 7 series. And more importantly I am pleased to see the staying power that the Arx/Chane systems have acquired. So many business come and go but when a sound business model is adhered to and CS is at the top of priorities it keeps a loyal base. I've seen a few companies continually trying to come up w/ new product w/o ever really cementing the "new/old" product they put to market 6 months prior. As they are trying to back fill old orders they are putting out new items that are 3-4 months pre-production.

                              I've had no real need for new towers or speakers but I always come back to see what new offers are about.
                              My wife says if I'm not spending money on my truck I find ways to spend it on HT equipment ;)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X