Room SIze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Room SIze

I have been researching speakers for some time now, and have narrowed down to just three speaker models. One of the speakers in the running are the Chane A5rx-c. I was wondering what would be considered the max room size these speakers could handle? They will be powered by a 200 watt/channel amp for now, upgraded to a 300 watt/channel amp some time in the future.

Thanks

Hi Matt. Welcome to the forum. Room size is not as critical with speakers as it is with a subwoofer which has to pressurize the space. With speakers, the main concern is distance from speakers to listening position. When the local experts know that, they will be able to tell you if the A5rx-cs will be adequate. I suspect the max distance for the A5s is much larger than most rooms.
    Jack

Comment

Just to add, going from a 200 to 300 wpc power increase will net you about 1.8 dB per speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajax View Post
        With speakers, the main concern is distance from speakers to listening position. When the local experts know that, they will be able to tell you if the A5rx-cs will be adequate.
        Right now, I'm sitting about 11 feet from each front speaker, which I'm sure the A5rx-c's can easily handle, but I tend to move every few years because of my line of work, so my LP could increase to as much as 15 or 20 feet.

Comment

Originally posted by mattmc61 View Post
          I have been researching speakers for some time now, and have narrowed down to just three speaker models. One of the speakers in the running are the Chane A5rx-c. I was wondering what would be considered the max room size these speakers could handle? They will be powered by a 200 watt/channel amp for now, upgraded to a 300 watt/channel amp some time in the future.

Thanks
          A couple more questions.

-Is this for a music or home theater system?
          -Will subwoofers be used?

Comment

Originally posted by tesseract View Post
            A couple more questions.

-Is this for a music or home theater system?
            -Will subwoofers be used?
            They will be used for both. right now I have an Oppo BDP-105D with the line level outputs to a Emotiva XPA5. the sub output goes to a Velodyne VRP-12. The sub will stay, but if I decide on the Chane speakers, I will replace the center and surrounds with Chane A2rx-c.

Right now, for movies, I set the fronts to small, and have the sub crossover set to 70Hz. when listening to music, I just set the fronts back to large, not using the sub for music.

Comment

The A5rx-c and A2rx-c are capable of very high output. If you really need more, there is the Theater Ten loudspeakers. But the Theater Tens would have to be dialed back in level to match the Velodyne subwoofer.

Since you are not using a sub for music, and the ARX are capable, I think the A5rx-c/A2rx-c combo would fit the job at hand just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by mattmc61 View Post
                Right now, I'm sitting about 11 feet from each front speaker, which I'm sure the A5rx-c's can easily handle, but I tend to move every few years because of my line of work, so my LP could increase to as much as 15 or 20 feet.
                If you crossover at 80hz or above, the A3rx-c's will handle that to obscene listening levels. I'm using the A3rx-c's now at 11 ft from my ears. They will rip your face off with a sub.

The A5rx-c would be overkill from a volume standpoint at that distance.

Comment

Working...
                X