The new 2018 Chane A5.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new 2018 Chane A5.4

The popular Chane "Arx" A5's successor, the Chane A5rx-c has sold out. A new 2018 model Chane 5.4 is currently in production and will launch soon. It will be the final version of this leading, top-rated main floor speaker. When it appears we'll join it with the relaunch of the A2.4 center/LCR speaker and A1.4 monitor and shelf speaker.

Pricing:
    A1.4 - $279/pr. Regularly $339/pr.
    A2.4 - $229/ea. Regularly $279/ea.
    A5.4 - $362/ea. Regularly $439/ea.

Customer shipping will be only $24.95 per carton. The A1.4 ship one pair to a box, the others ship individually.

To reserve your new A5.4, please feel free to post a note here and email us. We've gotten scores of emailed reservations and each one has been added to the list and an email reply sent. Not all replies make it through all the various email filters but please know that each has been sent a reply and each of your addresses has been collected for future alerts. To place your reservation it's not a bad idea to pop a note in this thread too. Please note that due to demand, supplies may be limited. We will initiate a second production as soon as we can.

5/25/18 Thanks to the following (as well as all who have emailed):
    cgramer
    gmitchell
    corgwn
    sharat
    boomhower
    Futurr55
    smfsh
    Suikoden
    scott2020
    aboji
    chrch
    Ferbe
    omahawkscm
    cmiriyal
    browneye253
    sporkster
    akibapower711
    Wibby
    redwing24
    zlarb
    FileAudio
    selrahc
    newtonty
    superfan
    alan neely
    alphazoom
    Itabe
    jsclayton
    abchus0330
    ATwoZ
    abbayyadav
    sirjapedo
    idyfohu
    the_culture
    drk911
    dipole
    ginko
    Parker_12
    Matthew
    Torque
    growboxguy
    mosiris
    Maconi
    mhemberg
    bavinck
    duweeee
    Jason Bodine
    bb80301
    cgallon
    wntrsnowg
    camarobuff67
    CiresDivam
    xo151
    Alpha Lima
    Tux_299
    redonly
    Vance
    rajabm
    drwuby
    Ray559527
    steamboat54
    wntrsnowg
    eillera
    01svtL

This thread is to announce the A5.4 and document it as it launches. If there's anything you'd like to know about it or would like to contribute, Chane would be delighted to host your comments here. Please join us.

You're probably already aware of just how successful the Chane A5 platform has been. Try this link to see what we're actually improving on - the original A5 went on to stand with the top speakers in a $2500/pr category too. Please check our News & Reviews area for excerpts of two 2017 speaker shootouts involving the Chane A1.4 and A2.4, too. Chane is the listener's choice!

And yes, there will be various group buys and bundle incentives involving both models before and after launch.

Stay tuned. Naturally, we will announce dates when we have them. Thank you for your patience. I think you'll agree it'll be worth it.

About the Chane A5.4

Chane has a program of continuing development for all of our models - we expect the upgraded A5.4 to launch early 2018. The exact schedule will post online as soon as we have it. The A5.4 will be accompanied by at least one promotion.

This upgrade improves the treble by adding the .4 tweeter system already deployed in the models A1.4 and A2.4. The treble crossover is also revised, and the A5.4's bass tuning and midrange driver are slightly upgraded.

We've also replaced the wooden base with four detachable aluminum outrigger feet with adjustable carpet tips. It'll be a cleaner look that will couple better to the room, refining all aspects of the A5.4's definition. A new slimline grille matches the A1.4 and A2.4.

This combination of features will be the most comprehensive upgrade to the A5 platform yet and the model's reputation as leading contender for overall best-sounding compact high-value floor speaker should be enhanced even more. We expect that the .4 series will be the final evolution for these models.

The A5.4's exact launch schedule will post online as soon as we have it.

Comment

A5.4 pictures and specifications

Click image for larger version

Name:	A5.4 main.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	78317

Name:	A5.4 foot detail.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	78318

Name:	A5.4 hardware.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	78319

Name:	A5.4 midrange.jpg
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	78320

Features

• 1.25" x 2.25" flat panel leaf tweeter
        • Very high frequency extension to over 30kHz
        • Higher output and power handling than domes
        • Resistive amplifier load for consistent neutrality

• New molded aluminum treble face plate
        • Flatter, smoother response
        • Improved acoustic phasing and design integration

• Triple 135mm high-excursion SplitGap midwoofers with XBL2 motors
        • Very long, linear cone excursion
        • Distortion reduced over 50% versus conventional drivers
        • Aluminum frames, damped cones, and double-ventilated motors
        • High thermal capacity for reliable, high output

• Dedicated 135mm midrange
        • Low moving mass and high energy motor extend response
        • Aluminum frame, damped cone, and double-ventilated motor
        • Aluminum phase plug and heat sink

• Chane's 0.4 series precision dividing network
        • Hybrid 3-way crossover with improved integration
        • High grade polypropylene capacitors in critical signal areas improve transparency
        • Heavy-gauge inductors and non-inductive resistors improve frequency extremes

• Convertible bass reflex acoustic alignment
      • Heavy 18mm braced construction with six wall-to-wall internal shelves
      • Simulated black ash PVC finish
      • Includes detachable black fabric grille with stainless steel pegs
      • Detachable black anodized aluminum outrigger feet
      • Screw-on adjustable stainless steel carpet spikes and floor discs included
      • Gold-plated input terminals accept common cable terminations
      • Port plug (included) adds setup and use options
      • Includes Chane Music & Cinema's 30-day in-home satisfaction guarantee
      • Five year warranty

Specifications
      • Frequency Response: 47Hz-25kHz +/- 3dB
      • Low Frequency cutoff: 40Hz -6dB
      • Sensitivity (1W/1m): 90dB
      • Sensitivity (2.83v/1m): 92dB
      • System type: Convertible bass reflex
      • Nominal Impedance: 6 Ohms
      • Recommended Power: 20-300W
      • Dimensions: 1025 x 180 x 260mm
      • Dimensions: 40.35 x 7.1 x 10.25in
      • Detachable outrigger feet: 8 x 40 x 140mm, M8 threaded
      • Screw-on carpet spikes: 1.25" diameter x 1.5" tall
      • Includes stainless steel floor disc for each foot
      • Net Weight: 25kg / 55lbs each

Comment

The A5.4's measured data.

At long last, the A5.4's measured response. This is the summed, gated response at 2.83v input, averaged around the speaker's 1M listening window.

Name:	A5.4_horz_600.jpg
Size:	746.8 KB
ID:	78326

Next, the A5.4's impedance. Impedance minimum does not fall below 4 ohms, and impedance phase angle is +40/-20 degrees above the speaker's bass impedance peaks. The A5.4 is therefore easy to drive but will respond well to amplifiers that approximate constant voltage current sourcing into real loads. With 92.5dB output at a nominal 6 ohms, the A5.4 is also quite sensitive.

Name:	A5.4_imp_600.jpg
Size:	745.5 KB
ID:	78327

This same data is presented in the Response tab in the A5.4 product page on the Chane site.

Comment

Looking forward to A5.4

Originally posted by Jon Lane View Post
          To clinch your reservation it's not a bad idea to pop a note in this thread too.
          I already received an email confirmation; but I am also replying here, as recommended. =-)

Thanks, and I look forward to purchasing my first Chanes -- A5.4 L/R's with an A2.4 center. -cheers, CSB
          Last edited by corgwn; 10-23-2017, 05:14 PM.
          "If I haven't seen further than others, it is by standing within the footsteps of giants." - Sir Ace C. Anon-Wit

Comment

Hi Jon--

I sent an email previously, but just wanted to make sure I am on the list for a pair of 5.4's.

Thanks,
            Greg Mitchell

Comment

Looking forward to the A5.4!

Originally posted by Jon Lane View Post
              To reserve your new A5.4, please feel free to post a note here and email us.
              Just wanted to follow up my email with a note here. Looking forward to buying a pair of A5.4s for my stereo-only music system!

Thanks!

óChris:D
              New system: Outlaw RR2160 receiver; speakers & subs TBD!

Comment

Originally posted by cgramer View Post
                Just wanted to follow up my email with a note here. Looking forward to buying a pair of A5.4s for my stereo-only music system!
                I noticed in the description of the A5.4 some advice about placement:

The Chane A5.4 is a powerful main loudspeaker and sounds best away from major boundaries.

Are you able to be more specific at this point about how far away from the front and side walls the A5.4's should be? My room isn't small, but it isn't huge, either, at about 10 feet wide and 22 feet long (my speakers will be on either side of my TV, which is placed against one of the short, 10-foot walls).

Thanks!

óChris
                New system: Outlaw RR2160 receiver; speakers & subs TBD!

Comment

Thanks for everyione's interest - we will not fail to alert you as soon as we can. It would be wonderful to announce that date now but we do not have it yet. Please stay tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by cgramer View Post

I noticed in the description of the A5.4 some advice about placement:

The Chane A5.4 is a powerful main loudspeaker and sounds best away from major boundaries.

Are you able to be more specific at this point about how far away from the front and side walls the A5.4's should be? My room isn't small, but it isn't huge, either, at about 10 feet wide and 22 feet long (my speakers will be on either side of my TV, which is placed against one of the short, 10-foot walls).
                    The rules for speaker placement - if there are rules - are fairly universal so the A5 won't be any more or less influenced by boundaries than any other speaker of its type or class. I hope we didn't leave the impression the A5 were special in that regard. That remark is just a general advisory that for a relatively trim floor speaker the A5 can develop considerable output and will respond well to some of the usual room placement tuning. For example, pushed directly into corners they won't develop all of what they're capable of.

For a 10' wall I'd probably pay more attention to the listening triangle first: If the front mains are roughly 2/3 of the distance apart as you are from either, you've accomplished most of the setup. Pull them out as far as possible from the back wall, twist them in slightly, and shoot for that approximate ratio of speaker-to-speaker and speakers-to-listener.

Comment

reservation

A5.4 L/R's with a A2.4 center

Comment

Definitely get me on the list. Can't wait for a pair of 5.4's and a 2.4 for a new LCR.

Comment

Please add me to the list for a pair of A5.4s and one A2.4. Thanks, can't wait!

Comment

Email sent and reply received, but just triple checking to be on the list for a pair of 5.4's and a 2.4.

Comment

Just popping in to say that I reserved via email!

Comment

Working...
                              X