This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dougnliz View Post
    Thanks for the quick response. Here are the details of my system as it currently stands.

7.1.4 powered by a Marantz SR8012
    Bass is handled by a SVS PB16 Ultra
    The sides and rears are A1.2 (currently one pair of these is serving as main duty since they sound way better than my pair of 20 year old Definitive BP2002)
    Atmos duty is handled by 4 RSL C34E speakers.

As for budget I don't have a specific one in mind, but based on the rough estimates I saw in one of the threads I'm comfortable where the L series should live.
    That's a pretty good amp and being a Marantz should have good current reserve behind its 140w/ch. Any of the three floor models will respond well to it - the A5.x already have many times - and the rest of your system is certainly well above average too. I'd lean pretty strongly toward the L7 or our new mystery tower. 15' x 23' isn't enormous although 12' to the MLP is plenty for distance any of these floor models to focus. Assuming you enjoy realistic levels, I'd say either the L7 or the other model, which we'll unveil when it stocks with the L7/L6, etc.

Whether all that overwhelms what look like 2x 4" ceiling speakers at four places remains to be seen - it's really a function of just how loud you like to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post

I'd lean pretty strongly toward the L7 or our new mystery tower.
      In what order will the A5.5, L7 and the mystery tower be released?

Comment

• Originally posted by blogreader View Post
        In what order will the A5.5, L7 and the mystery tower be released?
        The A5.5 stocks the second half of November. We're awaiting the ETA of the other two, which arrive together. They could all show up together.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post

That's a pretty good amp and being a Marantz should have good current reserve behind its 140w/ch. Any of the three floor models will respond well to it - the A5.x already have many times - and the rest of your system is certainly well above average too. I'd lean pretty strongly toward the L7 or our new mystery tower. 15' x 23' isn't enormous although 12' to the MLP is plenty for distance any of these floor models to focus. Assuming you enjoy realistic levels, I'd say either the L7 or the other model, which we'll unveil when it stocks with the L7/L6, etc.

Whether all that overwhelms what look like 2x 4" ceiling speakers at four places remains to be seen - it's really a function of just how loud you like to go.
          Thanks for confirming what I originally thought when I added myself to the list for the L series. Now I just have to wait patiently. :)

Looking forward to hearing about the mystery product as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by dougnliz View Post
            Thanks for confirming what I originally thought when I added myself to the list for the L series. Now I just have to wait patiently. :)

Looking forward to hearing about the mystery product as well.
            I am sorry it's taken so long. No excuses, although we were fortunate to spend that time doing a lot of development, so at least from that perspective it paid off.

Good to know you're interested because I'm looking forward to providing a lot of new material. The other model(s) alluded to happen to represent a concept from about 2000 that had to do with how far downstream could we theoretically take a typically expensive technology option. As it turns out pretty far, and as such I've prepared about six comprehensive posts on what I think is a valuable new option. The same applies to the tech in the L series, but most of that material is already dispersed in this and the previous L series threads.

Anyway, things are accelerating now, which is kinda exciting. Good sound imminent. More soon.

Comment

• Three cheers, Jon! I cannot wait. Just got back to the US again (hopefully permanently) and stoked to simmer up some of your sizzling sounding speakers, sooner than later.

If later, I am sure it will be worth the wait. The A series were worth every penny and then some.

Comment

• The new space we are in, while spacious, significantly lacks sound dampening. I find I cannot really power/push my A5's to the level I would prefer to really get them singing, without risk of waking the neighbors. How will the L7's be in this regard? Will they be even louder at the minimum db/power level they need to really get driving full range?

Comment

• Originally posted by marksman View Post
                  The new space we are in, while spacious, significantly lacks sound dampening. I find I cannot really power/push my A5's to the level I would prefer to really get them singing, without risk of waking the neighbors. How will the L7's be in this regard? Will they be even louder at the minimum db/power level they need to really get driving full range?
                  Interesting question - I gather you're referring to responsiveness, or how low in level the speaker can build a believable sound stage with adequate full-band information and detail.

This involves a few different things. The L7 will deliver a more expansive, solid, authoritative, and sophisticated sound but as a function of bandwidth, the A5.x and L7 are actually quite close. The A5.x's planar tweeter goes a little higher - beyond audibility - while the bass cutoff for the two speakers is within maybe 5dB in-room. However the L7 has a sealed bass system so it makes considerably more bass at very low frequencies because the sealed system rolls off much slower.

This bandwidth is the second major aspect of the two speakers, the first being that the L7 takes advantage of a much greater acoustical size and also of its MTM mid-treble array, which substantially expands the size of the presentation.

Coming back to responsiveness - at what level the speaker comes together and starts to fill in - they're close. The L7 will deliver more flesh-and-blood, size, scale, and scope, whereas the A5.5 will have a touch more of fine high treble detail that can make it sound flashier. That treble "fill" can sound like more information even though to microphone it's not.

"Sophistication" is hard to describe in a sound: The L7 never lets you forget that you're hearing a very substantial speaker, but I can't say it's any more or any less responsive at lower levels than the A5.5. It's just larger and more realistic-sounding in general.

If you suffer bleed-over to adjoining spaces the choice of speaker isn't nearly as much a factor as simple loudness and the depth of bass, bass being what penetrates outside of your space the most.

Comment

• If you suffer bleed-over to adjoining spaces the choice of speaker isn't nearly as much a factor as simple loudness and the depth of bass, bass being what penetrates outside of your space the most.
                    You nailed the heart of my question. To get the desired bass extension I feel like I have to drive the A5's a bit hotter than ideal, and yet if I achieve deeper bass extension at a lower volume, I might wind up in the same boat. Mostly, I need a good excuse to conduct this experiment. :)

Cheers, and have a great weekend Jon.

Comment

• Hey Jon

The website did not want to load today, could it be possible maintenance loading the new model information?

Comment

• Server maintenance, 1st...

Comment

• Originally posted by marksman View Post
                          The new space we are in, while spacious, significantly lacks sound dampening. I find I cannot really power/push my A5's to the level I would prefer to really get them singing, without risk of waking the neighbors. How will the L7's be in this regard? Will they be even louder at the minimum db/power level they need to really get driving full range?
                          What amp/AVR are you using? Not saying this is the case, just trying to rule it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by 1st Time Caller View Post
                            Hey Jon

The website did not want to load today, could it be possible maintenance loading the new model information?
                            Tapatalk integration is now live.

Comment

• Originally posted by BufordTJustice View Post
                              Tapatalk integration is now live.
                              Woo! Thanks for the heads-up!

óChris
                              New system: Outlaw RR2160 receiver; speakers & subs TBD!

Comment

• Yes!!

New system: Outlaw RR2160 receiver; speakers & subs TBD!

Comment

Working...
                                X