Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to derail the l series thread but when will we hear more about the other type of speaker being beta tested?

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
      Not to derail the l series thread but when will we hear more about the other type of speaker being beta tested?
      I think we'll get everything into production and post new product channels in the main site first. There'll be plenty of time to assess, see what you all think, and converse.

Comment

Weekend update (whether late or early depends on your point of view. ;o)

The L7 appears to be in the can. It took a long while - some 3-ways can - but it finally relented and went on to do some unexpectedly nice things. I'm going to let my hearing decompress and see if everything sounds and looks right in the morning before signing off on this tune.

(Next and last: The L6 is largely a repeat of the L7 but with a different bass section. This puts 6 out of 7 models in the books with one more to verify. I'm about 3 weeks behind schedule.)

What to expect: Audio makers don't review their stuff and I shouldn't be the exception, but I can predict a few elements that should stand out. This is, after all, a speaker of a type - a large, synchronized 3-way in a modified sealed alignment - and its sound follows function. That said, there are always surprises in store until in the end you look back and realize it could only sound like this. Keeps it interesting.

-The modified bass section gives the L7 a sound that seems to borrow from both classic reflex and sealed systems. It's sealed too, so it has none of the cycle lag of a reflex box. Bass strikes 38-40Hz (at -3dB from reference) and with floor gain can make slam at high level without losing timbre. Quite a successful trade-off. Not to be confused with a true equalized 15" subwoofer, naturally, but also not the usual sound of 6.5" drivers in a sealed case.

-3D fans should enjoy this one. The smaller L3 and L3c (classic reflex 6.5" 2-way stand monitor and matching double 6.5" MTM large reflex monitor, respectively) probably make slightly more sensational sound effects - good 2-ways are hard to beat there - but the L7 3-way has a natural sophistication and ease where sound-staging is concerned. It's big and natural and good studio mixes will generate distinct, rounded phantoms about 20' beyond the front wall. Classical orchestra relates that lovely "square" hall dimension intact. Side-to-side is again less sensational than it is realistic, with a easy degree of solidity for pans and effects. The speaker tolerates a broad triangle, but as always experiment with toe.

-Timbre is built on the firmness and texture of the bass section, and I tuned for as much of that texture and tone color as the focus and damping allowed. This is a fast speaker - it's original design goal - but keeping it black and quiet was paramount and so the colors attach well to the physical placements, so to put it. I think you could call it a technical speaker with nice life and body. You can really hear the good parts in it but not as hyper effects as much as musical realism.

I'll stop with specifics there. We'll have to get a few pairs into the hands of the press and see what they find. My space is very asymmetrical and so I'm getting almost no consistent spatial assist from regular interior dimensions, which tends to make these a big set of headphones - my favorite quality - more than they are a design that depends on external aids. I've always believed first arrival was king, but those of you in medium to large residential rooms who can spend some time on placements will be rewarded.

That's it for now. One more design to wrap up from this batch. I'll update us on production, naturally. Have a good weekend, everybody.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 1st Time Caller View Post
            ^ Either the average Chane user or the AVS contingent has arrived.

Comment

Jon I have been waiting over 3 years, can you blame me for drooling over your descriptions of whats to come. Now just wait until you post pictures.

Comment

Hopefully we'll get the pricing and expected release date soon soon. What will be the initial color(s) offered? Hopefully the walnut/light cherry will be available for the group buy. Will the L6 be available for purchase at the same time as the L7, or will it be a little behind?

Comment

Originally posted by Spidacat View Post
                  Hopefully we'll get the pricing and expected release date soon soon. What will be the initial color(s) offered? Hopefully the walnut/light cherry will be available for the group buy. Will the L6 be available for purchase at the same time as the L7, or will it be a little behind?
                  The moment we have the final figures we'll post them. Plan on a new product channel, with studio pics, when we're clearing production. We'll offer the walnut finish and based on early demand, possibly an all black version too - all models will have the sculpted sand black front and back baffles and magnetic grilles. The L6 will arrive with the L7, along with the L3 and L3c, plus three other surprises.

Comment

Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post

The moment we have the final figures we'll post them. Plan on a new product channel, with studio pics, when we're clearing production. We'll offer the walnut finish and based on early demand, possibly an all black version too - all models will have the sculpted sand black front and back baffles and magnetic grilles. The L6 will arrive with the L7, along with the L3 and L3c, plus three other surprises.
                    Hello Jon my friend, just thought I'd stop by and see what's been happening since the last time I visited Chane. I remember talking about the L7-6 in depth with you and that's been what four years ago??? Your name was mentioned in a thread over at AVS and I just had to stop by and see how you're doing and where you're at with this creation we've talked about so long ago, I'm very excited for you and the folks who've been waiting to have a listen to something special which I believe the L series will be. I'll be in touch my friend and best wishes. Getting up in years now but never too old not to be interested in something you poured your heart into with the L7, I could already envision hearing it in my home, hoping I still have my hearing when it actually happens.

Best Regards, Jeffrey:D

Comment

Originally posted by jnordi View Post
                      Hello Jon my friend, just thought I'd stop by and see what's been happening since the last time I visited Chane. I remember talking about the L7-6 in depth with you and that's been what four years ago??? Your name was mentioned in a thread over at AVS and I just had to stop by and see how you're doing and where you're at with this creation we've talked about so long ago, I'm very excited for you and the folks who've been waiting to have a listen to something special which I believe the L series will be. I'll be in touch my friend and best wishes. Getting up in years now but never too old not to be interested in something you poured your heart into with the L7, I could already envision hearing it in my home, hoping I still have my hearing when it actually happens.

Best Regards, Jeffrey:D
                      Very nice to hear from you again, Jeffrey. I was thinking about you recently, in conjunction with the L models. By the way, I'm getting no younger either, but if this development phase is any indication I'm hearing more than ever. No idea how, but I'll take it, as intense as all this can be.

Please do be in touch because you may enjoy sound like this. I'm going to go through the L7 one more time this week but then we should be ready to sign off and then complete the matching L6 tune.

I'd love to reconnect, JN. Hope to hear from you whenever you can. Be well, my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post

Very nice to hear from you again, Jeffrey. I was thinking about you recently, in conjunction with the L models. By the way, I'm getting no younger either, but if this development phase is any indication I'm hearing more than ever. No idea how, but I'll take it, as intense as all this can be.

Please do be in touch because you may enjoy sound like this. I'm going to go through the L7 one more time this week but then we should be ready to sign off and then complete the matching L6 tune.

I'd love to reconnect, JN. Hope to hear from you whenever you can. Be well, my friend.
                        Likewise Jon, talk more in depth soon.............

Comment

Interested in a pair of 7's and a 6.

Comment

Do the renditions from a while back still hold true to the finished speaker design for the L7 and L6?

Comment

By the way, I'm holding off on buying speakers I thought I had settled on, only because of this L series you're bringing out. I'm basically waiting on a couple reviews to tell me what I want to know, and if all appears to be what I'm expecting, I'm ordering immediately. (L7's & L6) I'm building a new system from scratch and hope to have it all set up by this summer. I'll be starting with a 7.2 or 5.2.4. I haven't settled on that part yet.

Let me ask you about powering the L7's. I realize they have a high sensitivity rating, but with that being said, will they be able to benefit from high quality, class D power at the tune of 800wpc into 8ohm? Having so many drivers, i'm assuming their power handling capabilities are very high??

I love the fact that these aren't ported.

Thanks,
                              Brian

Comment

Originally posted by BadJRT View Post
                                Do the renditions from a while back still hold true to the finished speaker design for the L7 and L6?
                                Yup, they do. The first rendering shows the L7's panel ratio and driver map, the second snap shows the final finishes, baffle treatment, the L6's driver map, and on the cabinet on the right, a magnetic grille.

Comment

Working...
                                X