This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BadJRT View Post
    By the way, I'm holding off on buying speakers I thought I had settled on, only because of this L series you're bringing out. I'm basically waiting on a couple reviews to tell me what I want to know, and if all appears to be what I'm expecting, I'm ordering immediately. (L7's & L6) I'm building a new system from scratch and hope to have it all set up by this summer. I'll be starting with a 7.2 or 5.2.4. I haven't settled on that part yet.
    Thank you kindly. The response has been excellent, especially for such a lengthy project. I think people will be pleased at the degree of musicality and clarity, both the result of a ton of design tuning. Balance is excellent, and listener immersion is as full and complete as I've heard or worked with shy of some really exotic rigs. We knew the Ls had to go the extra mile and they don't seem to be letting us down...

Let me ask you about powering the L7's. I realize they have a high sensitivity rating, but with that being said, will they be able to benefit from high quality, class D power at the tune of 800wpc into 8ohm? Having so many drivers, i'm assuming their power handling capabilities are very high??
    I should clarify specifications. The L7 will probably get a 92db rating as a 6 ohm system, maybe 4 ohms. It's made of two sections of 8 ohms apiece - bass and mid - but the impedance magnitude dips to 3.5 ohms in the hundreds. This is hardly unusual, but it tends to steer away from an 8 ohm rating, even with the two 8 ohm sections making up most of the load. Impedance crosses 6 ohms at 1kHz so I could use that spec and rate accordingly but maybe 4 is more expected.

At any rate, the load phase angle is moderate and while I'd recommend a good high current amplifier of maybe 150w, nobody's going to have trouble driving them. As a test I managed to clip a 15w regulated tube amp (before I realized just how loud they were going) so I wouldn't recommend micro-power amps as the first choice, even with the 92dB initial loudness.

Now, 800w is a ton of power so the natural question becomes just how loud a user expects to go. The L7's real-world rating is probably 240w - based just on music signal across the woofer bank - but like me you'll find that half that is room-filling. The treble system is muscular for a direct-radiating tweeter, but any capable speaker sent a solid couple hundred watts is going to get loud and probably sound pushed.

How loud anyone expects is the question. How do you intend to use these models? I'll have some other things to drop with the Ls, so if even louder is really in your plans, stay with us.

I love the fact that these aren't ported.
    That was a dicey call so I'm glad to hear you say that. Lots of users prefer the maximum depth possible, and good reflex systems aren't exactly offensive to listen to so they're common. The L3 and L3c are stand-mount reflex systems whose ports can be stopped, but the L7 becomes too physically large as its ideal reflex counterpart, and in HT settings both L6 and L7 will generally be used with subs anyway. It sounds a little counter-intuitive but if the budget is there for an L6 & L7 combo, it's generally going to be in multi-channel with an active bass system.

On the other hand, with this much cabinet, woofer, and tuning, the L7 makes appreciable bass, and sounds mostly like a quicker, more textured version of its reflex counterpart, which adds to its very high clarity and focus. I think it's a good move too, and it keeps size, cost, and shipping to more manageable levels.

Comment

I should clarify specifications. The L7 will probably get a 92db rating as a 6 ohm system, maybe 4 ohms. It's made of two sections of 8 ohms apiece - bass and mid - but the impedance magnitude dips to 3.5 ohms in the hundreds. This is hardly unusual, but it tends to steer away from an 8 ohm rating, even with the two 8 ohm sections making up most of the load. Impedance crosses 6 ohms at 1kHz so I could use that spec and rate accordingly but maybe 4 is more expected.

At any rate, the load phase angle is moderate and while I'd recommend a good high current amplifier of maybe 150w, nobody's going to have trouble driving them. As a test I managed to clip a 15w regulated tube amp (before I realized just how loud they were going) so I wouldn't recommend micro-power amps as the first choice, even with the 92dB initial loudness.

Now, 800w is a ton of power so the natural question becomes just how loud a user expects to go. The L7's real-world rating is probably 240w - based just on music signal across the woofer bank - but like me you'll find that half that is room-filling. The treble system is muscular for a direct-radiating tweeter, but any capable speaker sent a solid couple hundred watts is going to get loud and probably sound pushed.
      Rather than 800, (yes probably overkill) I'll most likely go with a 3 channel amp that's rated at 400wpc in 8 ohm and 770 into 4 ohm. It's said to be stable to less than 1 ohm, so I think I'll be good there with quality power. I'm looking to get an Anthem or Marantz A/V receiver to power the rest of the surround speakers.

I'll have some other things to drop with the Ls, so if even louder is really in your plans, stay with us.
      Hmm, that's interesting to say the least. You have me curious. I wonder if you're talking about a hard hitting, high power sealed sub? I'm also going to buy two subs and have that narrowed down to two manufactures as of now. If you were to throw something in the mix, I'd love to take a look and listen.

That was a dicey call so I'm glad to hear you say that. Lots of users prefer the maximum depth possible, and good reflex systems aren't exactly offensive to listen to so they're common. The L3 and L3c are stand-mount reflex systems whose ports can be stopped, but the L7 becomes too physically large as its ideal reflex counterpart, and in HT settings both L6 and L7 will generally be used with subs anyway. It sounds a little counter-intuitive but if the budget is there for an L6 & L7 combo, it's generally going to be in multi-channel with an active bass system.

On the other hand, with this much cabinet, woofer, and tuning, the L7 makes appreciable bass, and sounds mostly like a quicker, more textured version of its reflex counterpart, which adds to its very high clarity and focus. I think it's a good move too, and it keeps size, cost, and shipping to more manageable levels.
      I agree and am sometimes perplexed at all these speaker companies who put all kinds of R&D into porting and port freq. tuning for their large floor standing speakers, then boasting in ads about how they'll dip into the 20hz range, only to have most of their customers end up high passing them or plugging the ports due to too much loose or boomy base, when compared to the subwoofers they have in their systems. Not many people run their towers without subs these days and most have their towers incorporated into a HT system as I will. I'd so much rather read a speakers advertisement or description and have it say the mid bass is fast, tight, articulate and hits hard enough to blend seamlessly with a high end subwoofer. I think a lot of people may agree when I say I don't care what a tower will do at 20 or 30hz, because I'm not going to let it perform there anyway. Maybe I'm off on this, but that's why I said I'm loving your L7 design not being ported. I'm also loving the 8 6.5" drivers that I expect will keep up with the 4 15" sealed Seatons that'll be handling the low end. (unless that is, you show me an awesome subwoofer platform you're hiding from us) :)
      Last edited by BadJRT; 03-12-2019, 01:02 PM.

Comment

I wonder if you're talking about a hard hitting, high power sealed sub? I'm also going to buy two subs and have that narrowed down to two manufactures as of now. If you were to throw something in the mix, I'd love to take a look and listen.

I'm also loving the 8 6.5" drivers that I expect will keep up with the 4 15" sealed Seatons that'll be handling the low end. (unless that is, you show me an awesome subwoofer platform you're hiding from us)
        I have plans but wouldn't ask you to hold out just for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post

I have plans but wouldn't ask you to hold out just for us.
          I'm absolutely holding out for the L7 and L6, otherwise I would have already made a purchase. But I understand on the other things. Thanks. I'm anxious and very optimistic!

Comment

Interested in 3 L3c's or L3 for LCR.

Comment

Update time: All models were approved this week, meaning that final crossovers are confirmed. Next, we coordinate production and review schedule and last build reports. Once I have those we'll schedule a new L series product channel.

About that time we should have some other interesting things to reveal so please stay tuned. The forum will be the first to know and we'll direct you where to go on the main site once that content is prepared. This info should include a roll-out group buy, our tradition and one quite popular with users. I think we can count on two other product channels about that time too.

Good weekend, everybody, and thanks for being aboard.

Comment

Hi Jon and everyone else. It's been a while since I checked in with progress on the L series, but just got caught up on this thread. I had been following the L7 for a few years, but was totally ready to buy last fall and decided to jump on an impossibly good deal on a set of Revel Concerta2 speakers. They have been good, but I am still very interested in and intrigued by the L. I probably won't be able to do anything for at least a year, but I will be watching this release and reactions with great interest. Good luck to Jon and I'm excited for all those who are getting in on the ground level of this series. I'm kinda jealous actually!

Comment

Tentatively interested in L6/L7. How would an L6 pair as a horizontal center with the A series 5.4 as mains? Would I be better off with a 6.4 center? Do we have dimensions yet on the 6.4?

The size of the L6 is perfect for my space. 95% home theater.

Would also prefer cheaper black over walnut :)
                  Last edited by Mavinwow; 03-18-2019, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavinwow View Post
                    How would an L6 pair as a horizontal center with the A series 5.4 as mains? Would I be better off with a 6.4 center? Do we have dimensions yet on the 6.4?

The size of the L6 is perfect for my space. 95% home theater.

Would also prefer cheaper black over walnut :)
                    The L6 comes from the same overall design scope as the A2.4 and other than the L6 being a 3-way and the two having somewhat dissimilar directivities as the result, are fairly interchangeable. The A2.4 has the extra-duty midwoofers, of course, so it plays loudly for its acoustical class. It's naturally competent and places well in the market and field.

The L6 has greater sophistication across the board - very high grade drivers and a ton of design and tuning under the hood. The L6 will typically go into a multi-channel install because while its sealed bass system keeps size down for a large speaker, the higher, shallower resulting cutoff generally calls for a subwoofer.

If it were me I'd probably keep each line as much in the family as possible. The A6.4 matches the A5s well, as you'd expect. It and the the onwall A model are on the table right now and should go to build within 30 days. Updates will follow.

A final note: Given the A line's ability to generate a lot of exceptionally clean, dynamic output (think SplitGap and the planar tweeter) folks may think the L line is just that much bigger. The L line is actually more sophisticated, and isn't designed specifically or solely to raise the rafters. We should have some other things for that as we go...

Comment

I would be interested in 3 L3's for home theater and stereo. I have a small room ( 11' X 10') and 1.4's now. I would like to know the approximate dimensions of the L3, so I can visual them in the space on stands. Also, would they be available in a black finish?

Comment

Originally posted by cdavis2260 View Post
                        I would be interested in 3 L3's for home theater and stereo. I have a small room ( 11' X 10') and 1.4's now. I would like to know the approximate dimensions of the L3, so I can visual them in the space on stands. Also, would they be available in a black finish?
                        We'll probably offer all-black along with the black on walnut-style. The L3 is a 20 liter system, and measures 320mm D x 235 W x 400 H. Front and rear are heavily beveled which lightens the look.

Comment

Thanks! Sounds good! Those will fit. Let me know when you have a price and photos. I am interested.

Comment

Hi Jon, so how do these guys sounds at lower volume levels? (like - night time listening), are they still fairly dynamic or do they really need a few watts pumping to get them singing?

Comment

Originally posted by nzryan View Post
                              Hi Jon, so how do these guys sounds at lower volume levels? (like - night time listening), are they still fairly dynamic or do they really need a few watts pumping to get them singing?
                              All the Ls have moderate sensitivity - about what you'd expect from designs based on 6.5" drivers. They also have very good drivers and a deliberate design aimed at the most open sound we've made so far - while they can play at a pretty healthy volume, they reveal a lot at background levels too. You could certainly do worse for low-level listening. (If a moderate-level, stand monitor is enough for you, frankly the single-woofer L3 or twin-woofer L3c could impress you. It's hard to beat a good 2-way for that effect.)

Somewhat related, I happened to catch this review recently. Herb's a great reviewer because he seems to really enjoy organically good audio and he relates the experience as well as anyone. The speaker he's writing about is a classic small monitor known for openness and see-through sound - for a realistic, visual perspective on the original recording. I'm not unfamiliar with this class of equipment and the Ls share some of its orientation.

On the other hand, if you want a speaker specifically for low volumes, watch for some smaller pieces we've been working on. It appears we may be ready to fast-track some of them.

Comment

General update. I'm currently waiting to test six sets of the final production crossovers - the units that translate the prototypes into the final as-built boards and parts. Once we pass this stage we make some speakers. This group includes all four Ls and two of the others I mentioned. A third speaker of that group has been modified into a different form.

Edit: The original post of the thread has been updated to show the L7 to be a 6 ohm speaker, like the A5.4. The L6 is still a 4 ohm speaker.

Comment

Working...
                                X