Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jon forever reminds us that patience is a sound quality virtue. A bit maddening at times, but the magic of a good speaker is worth it. Super excited!

Comment

I feel like the expectant dad when the baby is a month late, The anxiety is killing me, even if mom is doing all the work. I know once the baby is here I will love it all the more and the long wait will just be a small memory.

Comment

To keep my mind off the wait I have started to list what I will listen to when they arrive.
        1. Pink Floyd Wishing you were here
        2. Dvorak, New world
        3. Yes Tales of a topographic ocean
        4. Led zep various but starting with Cashmere
        5. Old Genesis
        6. Peter Gabriel
        7. Vivaldi 4 seasons
        8. Little feet coming to America (love the horns)
        9. Allman Brothers Live at the philmore east
        10. Enya
        11. Kieth Jarret, Th Kolhn Concert
        12. Sarah McLachlan
        Then I will need to go to sleep. Next day may be LOTR movies

Comment

Good Morning, folks; it's the weekend again and with a little lull in the action I felt I should fill you in on the state of affairs.

As you know, the first four L models are in the can for production: The L7 large floor tower - a seven-driver 6.5" three-way - the matching five-driver L6 symmetrical center speaker, the L3c 6.5" MTM LCR speaker, and the matching L3 classic 6.5" 2-way stand monitor. The first two use embossed aluminum-cone woofers with special very low distortion motors, matching 4.5" treated cellulose midranges, and a 29mm ringdome treble unit. The latter two use hard mineral-filled polypropylene midbasses and the matching tweeter. All drivers are from a foremost international high end design house with deep roots in the northern European exotic driver field. I know of no higher performance value anywhere in the industry.

We've ordered production to commence once the final crossovers are signed off. One of our crossover component vendors is just coming back from their holiday last week but I don't expect this phase to take long. Production tolerances through this channel are so tight and quality so high that this last check of a completed design is generally not necessary but I felt we should invest it anyway, even though the line is assembled and tested in the US.

Originally posted by marksman View Post
          Jon forever reminds us that patience is a sound quality virtue. A bit maddening at times, but the magic of a good speaker is worth it. Super excited!
          It certainly is, although I wouldn't ask anyone to wait us out. This line began with a model concept for the A series but then got on a train and accelerated. It ended up becoming a much different thing but it was nearly impossible to stop the progress. Although it's gone over schedule the core of it has become what I think is a tremendously solid and probably even leading value in its field. Obviously if you have to move on please do so, but if you're in no hurry you may find this series interesting.

The L line is a revival and substantial expansion of the Dana brand - three compact models I made from about 7 years ago. I was the first to use this original range of premium drivers at the time, which has since gone on to number dozens of variations on the exotic Danish-style high end driver. They've appeared in everything from six figure flagships to other ID brands and it became clear again that they're natural for a Chane line a level above the entry A range. They are costly, and much of the last few years has involved establishing suitable, compatible manufacturing and fulfillment to keep value as high as humanly possible. We had to find a comfortable crossover point for all that performance value with a continuing supply channel, and we have. Getting that equation right was nearly the entire trick.

The other was and is design. Dana was one of two efforts to bring an alternative to the channel, the other being the original A series, back about a decade ago. Both came about as the convergence of very solid tech on one hand and a type of design and tuning on the other. Add in substantial cabinetry and direct-to-user value, and a real alternative emerges. At the time I had two decades of experience in the field, including time on both sides of the supply channel. I'd developed international tech and distribution of an exotic transducer class for commercial and private use - centered on multimedia in large and very large fixed installations ranging between serious cinema rooms and premiere commercial spaces- but before that had spent a lot of time in the audio high end. There a team of us had developed the core of what eventually became Chane today.

The trick to good sound is about what you'd expect: Good foundational tech, with as many inherent advantages in driver technology as the class you're in can realistically include; classic, deliberate design in which specific targets are identified and balanced across the system's behaviors; solid, quiet construction; and lots of tuning to optimize the first ingredients within second ingredient's envelope. The third ingredient then keeps things transparent and prevents excess coloration. None of it is inexpensive or cut and dried but get it all done and it works. We tend to get high marks.

The L line really just takes this process and throws it at a higher technology set and into a larger (initial) class of systems. The 5.25" SplitGap midwoofer becomes another very low distortion driver type in the 6.5" range. The planar tweeter becomes a broader-bandwidth large round treble driver whose response allows us to strike important other design goals. It's those comprehensive goals that ultimately deliver the sort of audible refinements that push a sound into a demonstrably more satisfying area. That's the ultimate destination and it takes a concerted ingredient list, strategy, and development envelope to accomplish it. What started years ago as the instinct borne from experience with leading options has evolved across and through each of its critical stages to become a new thing. We didn't start out deciding to make speakers one day; making speakers today is the deliberate evolution of what we already proved worked.

The A line has benefited too. About 18 months ago I decided to change horses and start to subtly shift the A line into what the fairly radical A2.4 was already playing with. The A2.4 had been a conscious decision to abandon conventional wisdom and head out after a different design standard. The A1.5 - currently in production along with an A2.4 resupply - will be the first. It's a standmount monitor now, retuned for more of that big, open soundstage and easy dynamics, and compensated for open-air use. (The new A5.4 mini is about to head to production and it also uses a 5.25" midwoofer but it's for either onwall or desk use.) The point is that the A line also benefits from this continuing evolution of conscious, deliberate design standards and goals, which in the L series just strikes in larger systems using outstanding driver tech tuned to another deliberate design endpoint.

The L3 and L3c deserve some elaboration too. Much conventional wisdom has been narrated claiming benefits for 3-way speakers, however the 2-way L3 and L3c I expect to reverse this presumption. In point of established fact, and when compared to a good 3-way, the proper, well-tuned 2-way suffers only from less acoustical size. When it's in the same acoustical size class I'd argue in favor of the 2-way. When the 3-way is in a larger acoustical class, we'd favor its frequency extension, lower distortion, and the intangibles like poise, sophistication, and slam. Meanwhile a very good two-way achieves that Nth degree of transparency, intimacy, connectedness, and vividness. A very good 2-way may also render tone colors better, although a very good 3-way can develop more lifelike body.

All this becomes clear in the final tuning, where as I've always said, things end up sounding exactly like what they are. You have to drive a mid-engine V12 car or a rear-motored boxer six to understand that they cannot but have the personality that they do. Speakers are no different; assuming they're tuned well they can and must sound exactly like their underlying elements tied into a particular internal and acoustical design. The L series brought Chane to the point all over again where each component became a critical element, some of them with ruthless insistence. You just have to find where they "want" to be.

Sometimes I wish I could review this stuff. That wouldn't pass muster, of course, even in the day and age of all sorts of far odder cultivated narratives about reproduced sound and "accuracy" and value and gate-keepers that actually have far less credibility. I vote that we get these things out to you and see how you find they do - it's always worked for us all before.

The first four L models will be joined by at least three more in another range. We'll add the A4.5 onwall and desktop speaker, and an A6.5 center asap. I have a good two dozen other models in various stages too, whether in other full-range speaker channels or as subwoofers. But the evolving, more refined A models and the larger, highly tuned L models remain the value leaders. If and when we move into veneers and exotic surfaces for the L line that calculus will change to include furniture style and value too, but for now the sound value to beat is, I think, what comes up next.

This is all just hifi, naturally, and technically it needs none of these long-winded posts. I thought I'd share some inside stories how we got here and as we move forward a few folks can dovetail them to their own experience as they fire up a pair or two and see how they do. Chane would also like to put together a Sarasota GTG late this year as well as finally entering the show circuit. We'll try and you are invited to get involved.

I started back down this road, part-time, in the mid-naughts because I had an ideal and because I needed the luxury of my own schedule as I extricated my child from a bad situation put upon her by bad actors. I've since actually been harassed online for offering good alternative audio but now that we're here, I believe we're going to reset some expectations and dazzle a few people with the real results. Some of what comes next, providence-willing, is on-balance as good as I've heard in 35 years, and it is a rare personal pleasure to be at this phase - it could have worked out much differently. We've prevailed before and we'll do it again, provided providence wishes it. Thanks for being aboard.

Comment

Thank you Jon, I just wanted to let you know how much you're appreciated by me, I would expect by all as well..........

jnordi

Comment

The cosmic coincidence control-center decided to abruptly relocate my family in a foreign country, and spin me around the globe a few times, while pitching curve-balls at us like immigration and employment challenges. I only make wry jests about your delivery timing, Jon. Extremely satisfied and patient customer here. Life has taught me not to sweat or stress about details I cannot control. Things happen when they happen and often for good reason. Or at least - if you grab the best in any situation, ignore the rest, and move on - it feels like things happened for a good reason. :)

The timing on the L-series release looks like it may coincide with the next change of fate the cosmic control center has in store for my family's destiny, as luck would have it. This fact amuses me greatly and will make the speakers that much more of a memorable splash on my little life-timeline.

Thank you for being a master craftsman, Jon. I am an OCD craftsman in my own space, and have tremendous respect for master craftsmen/women. It's fun to read a bit about the sausage making, as well. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Jon
                Will we be effected by the recent trump dealings with China? Could this cause major delays or added tariffs? Are we close enough for Pics yet?

Comment

Originally posted by 1st Time Caller View Post
                  Jon
                  Will we be effected by the recent trump dealings with China? Could this cause major delays or added tariffs? Are we close enough for Pics yet?
                  We're all affected one way or another by Trump's dealings regardless of country, especially us seniors................!!!!!! I can't answer to the Pics availability though.....

Comment

Originally posted by jnordi View Post
                    Thank you Jon, I just wanted to let you know how much you're appreciated by me, I would expect by all as well.
                    Originally posted by marksman View Post
                    Life has taught me not to sweat or stress about details I cannot control. Things happen when they happen and often for good reason. Or at least - if you grab the best in any situation, ignore the rest, and move on - it feels like things happened for a good reason.

The timing on the L-series release looks like it may coincide with the next change of fate the cosmic control center has in store for my family's destiny, as luck would have it. This fact amuses me greatly and will make the speakers that much more of a memorable splash on my little life-timeline.
                    Originally posted by 1st Time Caller View Post
                    Jon
                    Originally posted by jnordi View Post
                    We're all affected one way or another by Trump's dealings regardless of country, especially us seniors................!!!!!! I can't answer to the Pics availability though.....
                    'Morning, folks,

It's time for a weekend update. Last week I mentioned that we elected to check crossover assemblies a final time but that that step was interrupted for a week by a local supply-chain holiday. Crossover components have since landed but I don't know if that includes final circuit boards, so while I assume we'll proceed immediately to assembly I can't guarantee it. If so we could be only days from final approvals. Let's hope for the best. Pictures occur as production proceeds - we shoot right in the factory studio.

I'm pleased to report that this supply line will not be affected by impending tariffs. Us armchair analysts follow such things so a few years ago I began planning alternative supply. Obviously the US cannot export debt endlessly without monetary harm so any wise commercial buyer, I assume, develops options and opportunities. You have to be flexible and creative.

Just such an opportunity facilitated the L models and others, which means that the L line has taken this long partly because of the constantly evolving and improving tech in it, but partly too because of wanting to exploit emerging opportunity for savings and longevity. Nobody wants to see the ground under their business model sliding around but if it does you prepare to end up on the right side of it. I think we have, and in more ways than one.

Even so, there's no real money in this business. I've seen some players capitalize on various unique opportunities and build valuable businesses, but with only sound and value powering sales the odds of a small, self-funded ID maker making it big are slim. Sound and value are intangibles that only appear after the sale and only if the product user has the interest and depth to recognize them. Sound is said to be subjective - which to a large degree across a large majority of listeners it probably is - while value manifests over time. As someone said, we buy price but we receive value, either good or bad.

I'm restoring a 20 year old car. I know that we don't really know what we've purchased until we arrive at distant point of reference, one few of us ever shall. Nobody goes that far and they're not expected to. It's taken 20 years to grasp what the particular 1998 automotive technology set really was, and as a developer of new commercial tech, the reverse applies to Chane. Hopefully folks trust us to work out the elements for them, in our case products not aimed at holding up a paint job, filling a channel, or populating a fancy showroom, Internet or otherwise.

Engineering is not equal, constant, or unimportant. It's not strictly related to price. Anybody can make a speaker - and many do, coming at it just to be in the business - but a good loudspeaker's real elements - and what it can or ideally should do - remain off-radar. I've watched the field for nearly 40 years and can say that the conventional wisdom in it is, if not wrongly-intended, at least notably incomplete. A lot of the things we expect to govern sound are actually peripheral or tangential to it; components of the final presentation - and good hifi should be a presentation - that are not primary to it. Meanwhile, other, more meaningful aspects remain lost in theoretical sub-topics to the conventional narratives that nevertheless have everything to do with that final acoustical presentation. As a late associate once said, industries don't talk about problems they cannot solve. My corollary is that they talk about solving problems that aren't important.

Examples of design aspects taken to extremes abound, and entire operations and post hoc theory may be built upon them. Trends come and go - some with the exciting imprimatur of science - that are secondary to the better aspects of reproduced sound. If analyzed logically some are just scant evidence of a much greater whole, meaning that they're detached from the complete machine in the same way that the proverbial elephant is an ear or a trunk if you can only feel it. Some of these assumptions are like basing automotive engineering on one or two particular chassis and powerplant types, which we've seen in audio means screening all components by a similarly incomplete metric. Or they're like basing all of competitive motorsports on tire pressure, octane number, wheel alignment, and plug gap, which are important to any design class and type but do not speak for the whole technology. There are a hundred ways to go fast but in audio one or two of them can become, at any given time, the single, acceptable, magical method to what's assumed is good sound.

This is the problem of shopping, evaluating, and analyzing what we hope is real sound and real value. Let's face it: what we're looking for is a trusted name to issue a trusted opinion so we stand some assurance of not making a poor decision. To some it's looking for a plausible theory and the expression of that theory in engineering before assuming it then reflects real sound. Only a segment of us screen those influences out and try the product ourselves. It's those few who I'd like to approach, and frankly, they've already been good to us.

The consumer problem is the real empirical result of an intangible goal - reproduced sound is, after all, for the ear and for not the lab bench, and real sound has to subjectively mimic what any maker hopes the lone user can reliably identify. The bench and microphone are ideally indispensable components of sound, but they are also impartial, limited observers on the technological art they assist. They are not, in and of themselves, arbiters of the entire, complete result either - our acoustical presentation - any more than a car speaks for all of motoring. An automotive class may create successes for itself, but those successes are simply not based on the ultimate expression of motoring. Even F1 racing is established by a class rule, just as is the America's Cup sailing yacht, the top fuel dragster, and in another way, the classic restoration circuit. Their technical absolutes are real but conditional. Reproduced sound, on the other hand, is its own absolute - The Absolute Sound. But its mechanical reproducing apparatus are anything but absolute. They're back in class rules.

Ten years ago when I started playing around with a few very modest designs my aim was to acoustically balance them while using various effective technologies that hadn't appeared in their areas - I'd been in hifi since the early 80's and using speaker CAD nearly the entire time. The result worked well. We competed very well - which didn't go over well in some places - and while we'd proved the point, we've since refined and refined the approach in an industry that's also improving, if unevenly so. Today it's harder to win customers but it's not necessarily harder because of sound. It's harder because the field cannot well distinguish what matters most, even in the day and age of accelerating technology and technical capability. There's still that disconnect between assumptions about the tech, what the tech itself seems to be saying, and real sound.

I've mentioned that the L model delay was due to both evolving tech - which has been an exciting and ongoing development - and to supply strategy. After all, delivering what works well requires all the links in the chain. But a third component crept in during that period. That third element is what I alluded above: A design envelope that deviates from the conventional and ends up in what I think is the notable, even if I'd never call it revolutionary. What really counts is envelope; the overall, combined chassis, powerplant, class, and tune (and more tune). In that regard the L models (and others) are expansions of the original, almost-couldn't-be-more-modest little models of ten years ago. That modest formula has changed little.

Chane is also a small endeavor. We're self-funded, virtual, and in the personal sense, relatively fragile. I never expected to be back in this to this level of technical and artistic fun, and it's been providential that together with our very talented, committed associates and supply chain members we find ourselves here. The success of our stuff over here in a side tributary of the field speaks for itself, and while nobody gets it right all the time, getting it righter as you go and accelerating forward is rewarding. Half a dozen small speaker brands - and one member of the press - have seen fit to variously harass, threaten, defame, or cast aspersions upon us - none having so much as spoken to me - because audio doesn't attract the impartiality you'd assume a purportedly objective field should. It attracts partisans, which is fine. But while I've never so much as unboxed a single competing model, I can report that if providence continues to will it, we'll have some fun with sound this year and beyond. It'll be original and it should be enjoyable.

We're getting some really interesting results and they hew to deliberate methods that stem from a better understanding of how these things really work coupled to extraordinary technology. Add the artist's touch and that's all I ever could have asked or intended. It's good to be able to dabble in it and while I wish it went much faster, having cast that die it went like it did and it'll pay off. "Things happen when they happen and often for good reason." Here's hoping!

Comment

• Good news: Apparently the boards are already done, and if that's the case, we should have final crossovers to approve as early as later this week. We'll take some snaps just to show you all, and I think we'll start using Twitter for fairly regular bits and pieces like this too.

The new A1.5 and the A2.4 resupply are about ready to head in too.

Once this all signs off then I'll add some detail on the other models I mentioned awhile back. Fun stuff.

Comment

• I am tentatively interested in 2 L7 and 1 L6

Comment

• Jon
                          I need me some L7 and L6 loving. Its almost my birthday and my fiancee is ready to spend some money. Give me some good news or at least some pics. Any chance they can be here by july as they are ready for production?

Comment

• Has the price point for this line been mentioned yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by marjen View Post
                              Has the price point for this line been mentioned yet?
                              We've mentioned that a starting point would be to step up one size class - from the 5" A1 to the 6.5" L3, for example - and then double the smaller speaker's price. I think we'll beat that but should not exceed it.

This is an estimate and final numbers happen a little later. They'll arrive about when photography does.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1st Time Caller View Post
                                Any chance they can be here by July as they are ready for production?
                                Final crossover inductors should be here this week for approval - now you see why everything is tentative until the final signatures. Thereafter production is a 60 day affair assuming we're at the top of the schedule. I doubt we will be, however, and schedules change all the time. Delivery is about 30 days after that.

Please realize that as soon as we know anything concrete it will always post here. We won't hold back.

Comment

Working...
                                X