This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kabin View Post
    Did I mentioned I'm looking forward to the L's? :) Hope it gets a production green light before too long. I suspect I also need to step up my subwoofer in the near future so I'm keeping an eye open for those rumored new Chane subwoofers.
    Sorry I've been MIA lately; I'm looking for that good news that we're making stuff soon. The eighth new design finishes up this week, and I need the factory to start sending us piles of new stuff...

Comment

• A quick note, which cheers me more than I can say: A member of the list emailed over the weekend to say that a serious medical condition he feared would prevent him participating in the L project has gone into remission. I just replied.

I'm so happy to hear this, and what a way to start the week. Those of us with medical concerns know very personally what that weight is like, even if it resolves itself. I'm sure I speak for at least a few of us.

Welcome back, friend.

I just noticed that the two L series threads have received nearly 140,000 views, way over here in our tributary of the audio Internet. Our Chane man is in the factory later this week to oversee setting things moving, after which, when it's fully in control, I'll announce a few things. I've been really looking forward to this - please remember that when we know, you'll all know.

We do this for the idealism. For the sound, and to offer a real difference. That doesn't mean it's easy or, in this case, even close to speedy, but in the end it's all a deliberate, methodical journey to a good thing.

PS: Let me add a less positive note, one I've been putting off for what will become obvious reasons. Some people won't understand that camaraderie and ideal; the joy of music and cinema like this. Put bluntly, we've been subject to various slanders by the usual suspects over time. When you violate a popular running narrative on sound and value - when you exceed expectations and end up the preferred option as many times as we have over the last decade - someone out there will say things they shouldn't. It happens. It's a big place.

If you encounter a particular narrative out there saying some rather aggressive things against Chane under the guise of concerned speculation it's actually falsehood. Maybe it's a case of mistaken identity - these minor audio celebrities clearly have no experience with Chane and we've never met or spoken - but apparently some folks can't grasp that free speech has limits, and that one is defamation. Just know that if you happen to encounter it, it's wrong. It's sloppy, reckless, and mean-spirited.

I've got a better idea. Let's celebrate our friend's joyous recovery...and imminent good sound.

And as always, I'll update the threads with product news the moment I can. Thank you for being here and for your generous interest.

Comment

• The quickest way to quiet critics is to get the speakers into our hands. :) :D Once some fresh reviews get out there I doubt there will be anything to worry about. If you provide some test speakers and perform strong as in previous shoot outs what could they say then?

I guess smilies aren't working - there was supposed to be a big grin after the first sentence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spidacat View Post
          The quickest way to quiet critics is to get the speakers into our hands. :) :D Once some fresh reviews get out there I doubt there will be anything to worry about. If you provide some test speakers and perform strong as in previous shoot outs what could they say then?

I guess smilies aren't working - there was supposed to be a big grin after the first sentence.
          Indeed. The Internet is a big place and eventually brings all things. In this case it sounds like Chane is being conflated with another entity entirely. Audio is also subjective and it attracts some partisans - certain minor after-guards circulate content that is simply defamatory, and worse. They themselves naturally remain ignorant of what they wish to remain ignorant of. If you encounter it, the team knows of it and I felt the time was right to suggest that our public should too. Because it's wrong.

More importantly, studio photography of models L7, L6, L3c, L3, two models X, and the first wave of subs is upcoming, in installments - folks can ask for dates but I don't have them yet so stuff will just appear. We just got excellent news and that was part of it, which I'm happy to report. It's exciting, and now that we're on-site to oversee, things are also moving well.

The values, the tech, and the design elements we've been able to include are, if I may say, outstanding. Randomly pick, say, the L3c, a 6.5" MTM two-way. I doubt anyone will see this one coming, sound-wise. And then the mystery models and so on. Other premium stand monitors are going to prototype phase, as are premium bass systems. Again, when we know, you'll know.

At some point I think we'll reinstall a skunkworks forum in which to post the product and tech particulars- there will be a fair amount of it.

I'll get the smiley thing looked into. Probably a switch somewhere in vBulletin...

Comment

• Jon
            I am happy I have not seen any of that kind of crap posted anywhere and you know most of us will vigorously defend you and Chane. I also agree once the speakers hit the channel and people can hear and live with the new speakers all the chatter will be a new narrative of how great they are and we hate that the supply chain ran out so fast. My biggest fear is you will release the 6 and 7 the 3rd week of sept and I will be in Europe not coming home until oct. If I could order and pre pay now I would but I know you wont release and do pricing until all is ready. Now if you tell us there will be a choice of finishes that would be another bid smiley. (you know I am partial to a chetry rose wood)

Comment

• Originally posted by 1st Time Caller View Post
              I am happy I have not seen any of that kind of crap posted anywhere and you know most of us will vigorously defend you and Chane. I also agree once the speakers hit the channel and people can hear and live with the new speakers all the chatter will be a new narrative of how great they are and we hate that the supply chain ran out so fast.
              Thanks. It's minor league stuff and because it's so obviously baseless I'm sure paints itself in a poor light. People have a pretty sensitive gauge for that sort of thing.

Regarding supply, the ideal for our company is regularly scheduled rapid small-batch production. As noted before, the overall goal is large scale economies and QC but delivered with those small batch methods to keep things flexible and responsive. The A series, on the other hand, depends on large scale production and so it risks running out before the clock comes around again. Given its demand this has happened a few times, although it happens all over the place so we're not unique. In audio there are scores of out-of-stocks, model turnovers, entire dropped lines, special models for special resellers, and the like all the time.

Originally posted by 1st Time Caller View Post
              My biggest fear is you will release the 6 and 7 the 3rd week of sept and I will be in Europe not coming home until oct. If I could order and pre pay now I would but I know you wont release and do pricing until all is ready. Now if you tell us there will be a choice of finishes that would be another bid smiley. (you know I am partial to a chetry rose wood)
              I think we'll produce the cherry first, then black. Then I'd like to poll and see if there's demand for the light ash look that's prevalent now. These finishes are not real wood - yet - but they are what the majors are flocking to because it just looks so good. It's also affordable - which L really was all about to begin with - and it's green. It's a great option, and prices will be attractive, maybe even surprising. I'd like to get into really premium finishes later, although naturally our costs will rise substantially.

As mentioned, all this stuff has an important internal design aspect to it too. The A series, which is increasingly hard to beat, evolved to it but it was first fully developed for the L line and the other behind-the-scenes models. I'm very pleased with it. It never comes up in public conversations about 'science', but it's the first priority and the most important element.

We generally roll out a Group Buy about 30 days prior and I see no reason not to this time - they've been tremendously popular. At that point we'll have to see what exterior finishes folks prefer and then respond accordingly. Your thoughts are always welcome...

Comment

• Sounds like there might be new 10% tariffs on Chinese sourced consumer goods in a month or so. I can't remember where the L series is being manufactured but worst case 10% isn't too bad a hit.

Comment

• It would be nice if Jon would tell us the first shipments are on the boat already :) but I know Jon, they will be done when they are ready and not before.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1st Time Caller View Post
                    It would be nice if Jon would tell us the first shipments are on the boat already :) but I know Jon, they will be done when they are ready and not before.
                    Yes, I'm looking forward to some pics and specifics. Hopefully we're getting close.

Comment

• Please count me in for 2 L7s and 1 L6.

Comment

• Originally posted by kabin View Post
                        Yes, I'm looking forward to some pics and specifics. Hopefully we're getting close.
                        It appears we are. I'm going to stand by until we have definite dates and facts and then fill everyone in.

Comment

• I want ash to match my current A series.

Comment

• I'm interested in the black as well.

Comment

• Mr. Lane,

Please forgive me in advance, but I have a very petty question to ask I'm not a huge fan of the existing logo and would prefer it to not be a part of the speaker grill (my a2rxcs do not have the logo, but my a1.4 (1.5s?) do. I don't mind the presence of a logo on the grill, I actually would like people who visit my home to know about Chane, but I can't help but admit I'd prefer no logo to the current one. But I'm looking for these to be a "higher end" purchase, and I hate to say the current logo seems out of place, at least to me.

I know that makes me sound like a snobbish ass, and it is a highly subjective issue, and I don't want to give offense; but I admit appearances (including the speaker finish) matter to me when spending more on speakers that I hope will be with me for some time.

So I suppose the question is: Will the current logo be placed on the speaker grill? Can it be removed easily or ordered without the logo?

I admire your work immensely and have been more than happy with my existing purchase. I'm looking forward to seeing images of the new models!

Comment

• The grille logo should be easy enough to remove. It'll be on the bottom edge of the magnetic grilles.

Images will transpire as production finishes, and both this thread and the main site will reflect that.

(As an aside, we actually selected the logo because we felt the industry could come off as stuffy and we wanted to inject a little levity into our small part of it. The font is more reminiscent of a handmade object than the usual flowing-script, champagne-and-roses stereotypes found in the high end ... ironically, for speaker product a lot more handmade than ours. But, taste is personal and as noted, the badging should remove easily enough.)

Comment

Working...
                                X