Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 813182328333839404142434445464748 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleDucks View Post
    Jon, in terms of overall character and tonal balance, how do you think an L7 front stage in a home theater will integrate with A1.4 surrounds that many of us already use?
    I had to thing about this for awhile. In terms of overall character it's a coin toss whether the A1.4 or A1.5 are favored. There are pros and cons either way, slight as they are. In terms of tonal balance, the A1.4 is a little more energetic and balances better close to wall boundaries. The A1.5 is more full-bodied and is intended more for main monitor use out in the room.

The L7 is a big speaker so in the acoustical sense a relatively big surround speaker is advised. There, of all the 5.25", one-woofer options, the A1.x and its SplitGap midbass driver and large tweeter have the power to keep up.

In terms of the sheer acoustical realism, tone color, PRAT, micro-detail, and dimensional immersion you'd expect from a high end speaker a matching the L series model would be your choice, but as another commenter just concluded, at a higher cost. Eventually we should offer an L series onwall model but given the above, the A1.4 isn't far from it already.
    J. Lane

I think that a 6.5" version of the A series 5.4s would be great.
    It would be an opportunity for existing owners to continue building on their system.
    Something to maybe consider.
    Or, are there technological/logistic reasons that this wouldn't be worthwhile?

Quote Originally Posted by Torque View Post
    I think that a 6.5" version of the A series 5.4s would be great.
    It would be an opportunity for existing owners to continue building on their system.
    Something to maybe consider.
    Or, are there technological/logistic reasons that this wouldn't be worthwhile?
    The three-woofer A5.4 is so capable that I'm afraid there wasn't a thoroughly logical step to a 6.5" A model. SplitGap 6.5" drivers add output ceiling that calls for a different midrange and even tweeter, which makes an A7.x an outlier as soon as it hits the market. We'd have to engineer a line of products to compliment it.

We considered a triple 6.5" non-SplitGap tower too but it ended up being too parametrically similar to the A5.4. There, you don't need the added bass reach because most systems the A line appear in use subwoofers. Add a sub or two and the A5.4 turns into a theater room main front speaker without any real downside that anyone's ever shared with us so a larger one is doubly challenged.

In R&D the A7 kept turning into an L7 which led to all sorts of options for a new upscale L line.

The A line gets the A4 onwall and the A6 large center, but beyond that any larger models are moved into the L line and elsewhere.
    J. Lane

I would have liked to see a 3-way center channel using the same drivers as the A5.4 vs the upcoming non-splitgap 6.5" Any reason why you choose to change up the drivers used?

Quote Originally Posted by FaintReality View Post
    I would have liked to see a 3-way center channel using the same drivers as the A5.4 vs the upcoming non-splitgap 6.5" Any reason why you choose to change up the drivers used?
    Packaging called for a pair of woofers to replace a trio, and a 70-80Hz response with a shallow acoustical transfer function to the subwoofer means the bottom two octaves aren't needed.

In other words, a pair of 6.5" have plenty of area versus three 5.25", and one fits on either side of the vertical T/M array in the middle. Meanwhile we don't have to move a lot of air when we can give up the 40-80Hz octave, meaning the cost of Splitgap isn't justified.
    J. Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Chane M&C View Post
    I had to thing about this for awhile. In terms of overall character it's a coin toss whether the A1.4 or A1.5 are favored. There are pros and cons either way, slight as they are. In terms of tonal balance, the A1.4 is a little more energetic and balances better close to wall boundaries. The A1.5 is more full-bodied and is intended more for main monitor use out in the room.

The L7 is a big speaker so in the acoustical sense a relatively big surround speaker is advised. There, of all the 5.25", one-woofer options, the A1.x and its SplitGap midbass driver and large tweeter have the power to keep up.

In terms of the sheer acoustical realism, tone color, PRAT, micro-detail, and dimensional immersion you'd expect from a high end speaker a matching the L series model would be your choice, but as another commenter just concluded, at a higher cost. Eventually we should offer an L series onwall model but given the above, the A1.4 isn't far from it already.

Will there be more A1.4s available? I have one pair for surrounds already and am planning to purchase the L7s and Center for my new HT room which is 23x15. So I'll need another pair to complete my 7.1.4 system.

I'm currently using some 20 year old DefTech towers for my mains so I'm REALLY looking forward to the upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by dougnliz View Post
    Will there be more A1.4s available?
    There won't except possibly as trade-ins or used models. Fortunately for surround channels the A1.4 and A1.5 are about as similar as two speakers can be, so you can also mix them without much concern. Use the A1.4 for the pair closest to corners and the A1.5 pair for the positions with the most open surrounding areas. Highpass at 80Hz and try them. We'll stand behind them.

Otherwise, the A4.x onwall effects speaker could be the choice for all four, making the set match perfectly.

I have one pair for surrounds already and am planning to purchase the L7s and Center for my new HT room which is 23x15. So I'll need another pair to complete my 7.1.4 system.

I'm currently using some 20 year old DefTech towers for my mains so I'm REALLY looking forward to the upgrade.
    Understood. The Ls will not disappoint. They're doing things I never expected, frankly, which comes from how developed the L line is today. The big L6 and L7 models are also a slight design level above the smaller L models. We worked out some interesting design aspects in them and of course the parts across the line are top shelf for any relatively affordable series.
    J. Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Chane M&C View Post
    Understood. The Ls will not disappoint. They're doing things I never expected, frankly, which comes from how developed the L line is today. The big L6 and L7 models are also a slight design level above the smaller L models. We worked out some interesting design aspects in them and of course the parts across the line are top shelf for any relatively affordable series.
    After hearing what the A1.4s can do, I'm eagerly awaiting the Pre-Order for the L Series. If you have a list somewhere please add me to it.

Will there be more A1.4s available? I have one pair for surrounds already and am planning to purchase the L7s and Center for my new HT room which is 23x15. So I'll need another pair to complete my 7.1.4 system.

It's funny that you mention that. I'm also awaiting L7/L6's for my mains, replacing 20 year old DefTech towers. I actually bought a pair of A 1.4's to eventually move to surrounds. I also bought them since one of my powered woofer amps was humming on startup. The hum was getting worse and the amps are out of stock until April, so I've been using the A 1.4's as temporary mains. I miss towers for music (don't always use subs), but the A1.4's do a super job integrating with my subs for movies. Going from a small "A" bookshelf to a large "L" tower should be incredible. After hearing a friend's system with a much larger center channel also has me really looking forward to the L6.

So Jon, do the a6 and a 7 go to production for V day? Everything you say makes me more excited