Thread: Chane 3600

Default Chane 3600

I'd love some thoughts from users with this amp. And if possible any direct comparisons to Crown XLS series amps.

I'm running some subs but curious if I could gain some performance from one of these amps compared to my XLS 2000's I'm running now.

I'd be running 4 ohm loads on sealed subs with a Low Shelf Filter (in a balanced MiniDSP 2x4) boosting the stuff below 30hz

Amplifiers like the 3600 have big high current linear power supplies that provide immense current to the load. They are typified by their weight: The 3600 goes about 53# in the carton, much of which is its huge toroidal power transformer. Switch mode power supplies in lightweight amps won't have the same current reserve and probably won't have the same sheer wallop in the bass as these more conventional audio types.

High current amplifiers also respond well to lower impedances. They're generally not fazed by a four ohm load, and in fact the 3600 carries a two ohm rating.

There is a review on the 3600 page ("Reviews" tab) that illustrates this relationship. Apparently the user found that the high current headroom made a real difference in his bass system. Given the basis for extreme bass power - which is high instantaneous current to the load - it's not surprising.

3600 peak watts like this at $249 is stupendous value. Wholesale cost in 100 lots to the shore is way over $300 and a legitimate street price is at least $499 with a typical retail of possibly over $600.
    J. Lane

Another question regarding this amp...

Can anyone comment on the loudness of this Chane amp which has two fans?

Sometimes "professional" amp fans are loud. I have a Behringer Europower EP4000 "professional" amp in which the single fan is noticeable from over 10' away. I swapped it's original fan with a quieter after market fan and now it is whisper quiet (and still stays very cool).
    Last edited by gdstupak; 05-05-2018 at 05:47 PM.

I sat about 15 feet from the one I had and don't recall ever hearing the fans kick in. It wasn't in a rack or another room either, it was sitting on top of the sub cabinet out in the open.

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite

Quote Originally Posted by Chane M&C View Post
    Amplifiers like the 3600 have big high current linear power supplies that provide immense current to the load. They are typified by their weight: The 3600 goes about 53# in the carton, much of which is its huge toroidal power transformer. Switch mode power supplies in lightweight amps won't have the same current reserve and probably won't have the same sheer wallop in the bass as these more conventional audio types.

High current amplifiers also respond well to lower impedances. They're generally not fazed by a four ohm load, and in fact the 3600 carries a two ohm rating.

There is a review on the 3600 page ("Reviews" tab) that illustrates this relationship. Apparently the user found that the high current headroom made a real difference in his bass system. Given the basis for extreme bass power - which is high instantaneous current to the load - it's not surprising.

3600 peak watts like this at $249 is stupendous value. Wholesale cost in 100 lots to the shore is way over $300 and a legitimate street price is at least $499 with a typical retail of possibly over $600.
    Thanks Jon!

I ended up with a Behringer EP4000 to compliment the two XLS2000's I'm using. Its also a A/B amp like this Chane 3600, with similar specs wattage wise, although measured performance is a bit less *shock*.

I may still snag one of these at a later date, but 3 of them for my sub setup would be a bit overkill as my rack would implode with the weight of 3 of them stacked on top of each other lol......

Quote Originally Posted by theJman View Post
    I sat about 15 feet from the one I had and don't recall ever hearing the fans kick in. It wasn't in a rack or another room either, it was sitting on top of the sub cabinet out in the open.
    Thanks for letting me know.

Do you happen to know if the fans are 24v or 12v by any chance?

A little late to the party but the 3600 is deadly quite in my setup. Sitting about 12 feet from it and have never heard it kick on.

Quote Originally Posted by kirk_mahoney View Post
    A little late to the party but the 3600 is deadly quite in my setup. Sitting about 12 feet from it and have never heard it kick on.
    Iím pretty sure Jon sold the last of them recently as they are no longer listed for sale anymore.

Iím any case, Iím still not at a point where I could buy 3 of them anyway.

Likely late to the party again but just sent payment for 2 3600s.

Quote Originally Posted by Chane M&C View Post
    They're yours. All four are now spoken for and will ship today. Thanks guys; that's more room for other things.
    Like I said via PM, just made my Thursday... my poor entertainment center is going to need yet another modification..... It wasn't really built to handle what I have on it already..... now add another 100 lbs lol.....

For curiosity sake I'm going to tally the weight I've got on tap as it sits...

B&K 200.5 - 74 lbs
    Denon 4100w - 28 lbs
    Crown XLS200 x 2 - 10 lbs
    Behringer EP4000 - 39 lbs
    APC H15 - 20 lbs
    Misc Gear (Xbox, network switch, MiniDSP enclosure) - 20 lbs

Total without 3600's = 201
    Total with 3600's = 301

I cant wait to play further with these amps. I was barely tickling the signal lights and they were pressurizing my room remarkably well!

And that was just with the 4 JBL CS1214's 12's I have already..... I'm adding 8 MORE to the mix soon, if not 12 , for a total of 12 or 16 drivers.......

Hi, I'm (insert name here), and I'm a BASSAHOLIC!
    Last edited by EndersShadow; 01-17-2019 at 12:57 PM.